~7~

Thomas's POV

After Minho went to check the mail Newt went home. Leaving me with my thoughts and the sounds from the T.V. Everything seemed so normal and great just a few days ago and now it's like the world is ending. Minho and Alby who could be next? And just for a war shouldn't our military be handling that?

I sighed. And continued to sit until Minho came through the door. I look up at him, he was empty-handed, no draft notice I guess.

He came and sat next to me on the couch, not saying a word. I didn't say anything either. For a good ten minutes, we were both silent until he said, "Where's Newt?"

"He had to go home," I answered.

He stood up and said, "Let's go."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see." He smirked.

***

Minho was driving and I was shotgun, we drove past Glade High, the park, the hospital, where was Minho taking me? He stopped the car in front of the beach, the moon still up.

"Why'd you wanna come here?" I asked.

"Why do you always ask questions? Can't a shank look at the beautiful view of the beach for one last time?" He said jokingly.

He grabbed a piece of paper out from his pocket and handed it to me.

DRAFT NOTICE

Name: Minho (A7)

Duty starts: September 7th, Monday

Report at: Scorch High School

An announcement will be made, you must follow where you are told to go.

Thank you for your service to the Right Arm.

I looked at him, he was still staring at the ocean.

"There's nothing I can do to stop this from happening, and I won't be here to protect the both of you like I always do. So you gotta promise me no matter whatever klunk breaks loose when I'm not here you'll protect and take care of Newt and yourself, for me," he says.

"I promise," I say.

"Okay then." He said pulling out a cigarette box.

"Hey what are you-"

"I know, I know. "He said "Just this once"

He lit the cigarette and leaned on the car. His hand that wasn't holding the cigarette was holding his wound. I'm guessing he was still in pain but was too stubborn to admit it.

Minho used to smoke a lot until I talked to him about it.

Flashback: Last Day of 10th Grade

It was only Minho and me waiting at the bus stop since Newt's brother took Newt to school at this time.

Minho, as usual, took out his cigarette box and lit a cigarette. That day I couldn't take it anymore so I asked, "Why do you even smoke? Do you know what smoking can do to you?"

"Smoking just helps me relax and waiting for this bus is giving me anxiety, is there a problem with it?" he said half sarcastically.

"Well yeah, it is. You're basically killing yourself by smoking, and you may not care what happens to you but I do and I'm 100% sure that Newt cares too. So stop being a selfish shank." I basically yell. 

When I looked up I've never seen Minho look so surprised before. He threw the cigarette on the sidewalk and stomped on it.

"Good that," He said.