Chapter 3

Dora
It's been two days since I last saw Twinkle. I was told by Festus that she's spending the weekend at her friend's place.

It's Monday and Twinkle is meant to be back today. I walk to kitchen; I plan to prepare a meal for her. I can only see cornflakes, coco pops, Golden morn, noodles and some other things that cannot be classified under a healthy meal.

“Is this what they feed on” I ask myself in astonishment.
Well, I don't think so. Festus is hardly at home, so am sure he eats out. And Twinkle, I guess she's the reason these chops are here. I'll have to go to the market, there's nothing here I can make a meal out of. I slip into a more comfortable outfit and head out for the market.

I've bought everything I need; the house isn't very far from the market so I'll just walk home.
I’m a bit close to home when a young girl bumps into me, causing the nylon bag I am holding to fall.

"Can't you watch where you're going, something breakable is in that nylon bag you just fell" am about to say these words but the tears in her eyes stops me.

“Why are you crying dear” I raise her face towards mine, It's as though my question broke open a drum of tears as she gives no answer but only cry the more. I go closer and give her a hug. I don't know why but my heart ached. I try to gather what she says amidst tears. The only words I can hear are "I’m tired of life" I wonder what could make such a young girl that hasn't even lived life to become tired of it.

After a couple of minutes, she finally calms down. I try to find out more about why she's tired, but she gives no reply. I recall the words my Mom once told me when I cried myself out, though not for the same reason I guess.

I look her in the eyes, holding her hands, I say
"You’re too young to be this stressed,
you’re too young to be this pressured,
you’re too young to be heartbroken,
you’re too young to be tired with life,
Take a deep breath, you will be fine".

Twinkle
“I think I can now go back home Stace”.

“Finally” she exclaims

“So you’re tired of my presence”

“Yes na, you practically turned my room upside down”

"It's alright; if you see me here again eh let my name change”.

She burst into laughter "your name will change oh, because you'll be here again before the week runs out”.

Stacy is my best friend, we're two persons who see life from a totally different perspective. I can never forget our first meet. She was new at school. I was asked by our form teacher to give her a tour round the school. I noticed she wasn't smiling, so I tried finding out why.

"There was a power outbreak in our street and so there was no enough water at home for everyone to shower. So I came to school without having my bath, I only put on new clothes and deodorant".

It was quite shocking because she looked neat. I didn't want to make her feel worse than she already is, so I replied
"According to a scientific result, humans only need to shower every 2-3 days. A daily shower can cause irritated and cracked skin".

My words brought smiles to her face, I even noticed her dimples. At that moment, I fell in love with the 15 year old Stacy and we've been friends since then.

I always wish we would stay together forever. But forever isn't meant for everyone. Maybe we'll be part of the few or God might have other plans for us.

I fear the day when I can no longer call her in the middle of the night, laugh with her and make memories. I fear the day when I'll look at her pictures and say we were once friends. I fear that unknown day and I pray it never surface. But change will always come, no one lasts forever. This is the truth I wish was a lie.