Chapter 11

Twinkle
"Daniel, what a surprise. How come your here?"

Daniel was once close to Stacy and i. You could call us the three friends. But it all changed when Daniel asked me out. What was I supposed to do, I was already crushing on Ben. So yeah, I rejected him and it destroyed our friendship. The last I heard from him was a year ago. So seeing him at my doorstep, the very day I broke up with Ben is too much of a coincidence.

"I went to Stacy's place first, but I was told she is here. So I decided to surprise you both together".

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming today during our last discussion" Stacy directs her gaze to Daniel.

Last discussion. Does it mean Stacy has been in contact with him? So am the only one that's left out.

"Am sorry, as I said, I wanted to surprise you guys". Daniel responds.
"Hello, Am still standing at the door, aren't you gonna let me come in?"

"Oh am sorry, Come in". I direct him to the sitting room. He wasn't always this formal when in my house. In those days, he would come in without being invited. People actually thought he was my father's Son, due to the way he treated this house like his home.

"I noticed a pretty lady on my way in. She's new right?"

Yeah she's new. Do you expect everything is be the same way since you last came here
"She's Dora" I reply

"Her Mum" Stacy adds

"Your Dad remarried?" he ask

"No, she's her birth mum" Stacy replies "Excuse us" Stacy drags me to the Kitchen.

"What happened" I ask

"My mom just texted. She said she really needs me to be home like right now"

"What! No, No, No. You can't leave me all alone with Daniel"

"You know it's not my intention na"

"Why now? What if we had gone out would you have left me at the restaurant?"
I hold her hands and fake crying
"Stacy don't do this to me"

"Don't worry you'll be fine. How hard can it be?"

Stacy has been gone for over five minutes now. How hard can it be, she said. Well it's so hard and awkward. We haven't said a single word since she left. I really want to escape from here.

"How is life with you, and your relationship with Ben" he breaks the silences.

"Ben and I are doing great".
You don't expect me to tell him that I've broken up with the person I rejected him for, in less than 2 years.
"What about you, how is school life" I ask

"It's just there oh, stressful and all. I enrolled at a computer school not too far from here. So I study part time at the University".

Ben and Daniel were classmates back in high school. They are both one year ahead of me in everything.
"Okay. I was actually on my way out before you came".

"Oh that's true. Do you mind walking me to the junction?" He ask

"Yes, no problem".
We stand and walk out of the house. On our way, we see some kids looking tattered and malnourished.

"See those Kids"
he points towards them.
"They have no one to care, love or provide for them. They are left to be their own mother and father. Looking at this from the biblical perspective, I can't say we're more righteous than them. But we're opportune to have parents who care. That's why we should be grateful, loving and thankful towards them. Being your friend over the years makes me know the kind of person you are. And at some instances, I can predict your actions. Don't be too hard on your mum. Yes she's been absent all these years but she's here now to make it up. Appreciate what you have before it becomes what you had".

We sit at bench close to the bus stop.
"I sometimes look at these kids. When I was their age, my only concerns were barbie, Disney movies, how my birthdays will be and so many other childish things. I didn't have to worry about food or money. But here they are, taking on the responsibility of adults. I can't really say I know how they feel, because we never really know where it hurts until we wear the shoe. But I can understand a bit. And I wish I can make life better for them".

I turn my gaze towards Daniel.
"How  should I love Dora? Where do I start from? I had no Mother while growing up, so I don't know how to love a Mother".

He places his hands on mine.
"You can start by opening up your heart. Hate is heavy, let it go. Let go of the memory and pain your holding on to. Then the way to love will come naturally".

At this very moment, I wish I hadn't chosen Ben over you. Why do we only realize what we're missing when we've lost it. The value of a person when we've lost them. His hands are still on mine, does it mean he still loves me?