Chapter 18

Mama
"Mum, you have a mail." Dora walks in from the front door.
"It's from George hospital, the lab department. Mum why is the hospital sending you a letter? Are you sick? Did you run a test"

I snatch the letter from her hands.
"I should be the one asking these questions. When do you plan on telling us about your health issues"

"Health issues? There's nothing like that" she tries walking away

"Oh, so you want to avoid my question. Shey you know that I'm your mother? Because I act as though I know nothing doesn't mean I know nothing."
I turn on the Television
"Where is Twinkle, I haven't seen her today."

"Yes, she went to see a friend"

"I don't see you or Festus in Twinkle. I've tried looking but there's nothing"

"You've started again with this your odd behavior. This was the same thing you said when you first met Festus." she sits beside me

"But wasn't I right? Can't you see? He got you pregnant, left you. You didn't complete your studies, you had to fight for a place in your daughter's life. He sold your daughter's liver to make a name for himself and he didn't even marry you. What else is there? Only God knows the sickness that's eating you up"

"But Mum, everything is perfect now" she replies

"No nothing is perfect. I don't trust Festus concerning Twinkle. It just doesn't seem right"

"You're just over thinking things. What could Festus possibly be hiding from me."

"What an elder sees while sitting down, even if a child is to climb a tree, he won't see it. I've taken matters into my own hands. I heard that Nwa m nwanyị, is an orphan" I ask

"Ummm not really sha. She just doesn't know her parents, so we aren't sure if they are dead or alive. You seem to really like her a lot?"

"Yes, she reminds me a lot of someone"

"She's quite special. We both bonded on our first meeting" she smiles.

Twinkle
Am at a spot and my eyes are searching.  I have to find him even though I don't know where to start. My eyes are no more searching because it's now blinded, not by Sand or a cloth but hands. Am a bit scared but the hands have a familiar touch. I trace it down to the person's head, hoping I can find something familiar but to no avail.
I locate the person's ribs and I wriggle continuously till my eyes are free. As I turn to see who stopped my eyes from searching, my face lits up. First with surprise and then happiness. I don't have to keep searching for him, he has found me.

"Twinne, what are you doing here" he holds his ribs and laugh a bit more.

Twinne, I haven't heard that name in a while.
"I came to see you, what else would I be doing here. And How did you know it was me"

He points at my dress and accessories.
"Everything you're putting on was either bought by me or we bought it together. So I don't need anyone to tell me it's you."

"Jeez I really wanted to take you unaware but you beat me at my own game" I place my hands on my waist.

"Ummm I can't keep my pretty Twinne standing"

"Abeg no flatter me" I give him a friendly punch.

"Ah, me flatter you. Can't you see a whole lot of people waiting in line to give you a seat? Please oh I can't let them snatch you from me"
he grabs my hands and leads me to the bench under a shady tree.

"You'll never change"

"How is Stacy holding up, I heard of her family issues" he picks out the leaves that fell on my hair

"Yeah, I really wanted to come with her. But she went to the court today with her Mom. She's trying so hard to be strong. I pray everything goes well for her"

"Yea, me too." he stares at his phone.
"Since you're here, let me introduce you to someone. Just give me a second"

While waiting for Daniel, I stand and try reaching for a fruit on the tree.

"That one isn't ripe enough. You won't enjoy it" a voice stops me from behind.

This voice sounds familiar. I guess it's the someone Daniel was talking about. I turn to find out who and it's her again. Why is she close to everyone I know and love. By the look on Daniel's face, I don't need to ask what kind of relationship they have. It's written all over him.

"You both know each other?"
Daniel reads the look in our eyes and our silence.
"Oh, I don't need anyone to tell me that you aren't friends".

"Well, we aren't enemies either" Bella replies

"I don't know how you guys know each other, but you'll have to turn friends this minute. Because you both are special to me. Ummm oya let's start with a handshake."
He holds my hands and Bella's hands and joins it together.

                  **********
"So you met Daniel today" Stacy opens the pack of noodles and put it in the boiling water.

"Yea and he knows Bella. They seem very close."

She laughs a bit
"The Bella that you dislike?"

"It's too much of a coincidence. Dora, Grandma and now Daniel. They all just love her" I pass the scissors over to her.

"I guess you guys just started off on the wrong foot. Remember the day you first saw her was when you broke up with Ben. I think she's a good person. You know Daniel's very picky getting close to people".
Stacy dishes out the noodles.

"But we're cool now sha. You know Daniel won't just let things slide. Jeez, I thought Daniel's still liked me. I guess he's moved on. If I didn't reject him then, we could have still been together" I give out a little laugh

"Dont stress the could haves. If it should have, it would have. There's a reason for everything. Maybe the reason will come along soon enough".