Chapter 1

Everything was fine, swell and dandy... Until Dirk's accident.

It had been just a normal Friday. You and Dirk were hanging out; it was movie night. It had also been your 2nd Anniversary of being married. You couldn't wait to surprise him with a special dinner after the movie, and even got Jane and Roxy in on distracting Dirk.

"Dirk, you ready to go?" You were wearing normal clothes, pretending to have forgotten the special day.

"Yeah, almost done, Jake." He responds, walking out of your shared room. He was wearing a nicer outfit than normal, and you silently curse yourself. Of course he wouldn't forget that today was your anniversary! He always talks about how much he loves you and cares about you, so it would be very strange if he forgot. His normal smile drops for a split second when he sees you, probably thinking you forgot about the special day.

"Great! We can get going then!" You say, opening up the door for him. He slips out silently, walking towards the car. You quickly lock up the house and jog to catch up with his fast pace.

"I'll drive," he says, walking around to the driver's side of the car.

"Alright, Dirk." You say, getting into the passenger's seat. He backs out of the driveway, making sure to check the street and ensure he doesn't hit anything. You admire Dirk, in the sense he is cautious and generally good, some of which you should learn sooner or later.

The ride to the movies is silent, unlike the normal chatter between the two of you. Dirk says nothing, staring out the front of the window the entire time.

"So, which movie do you want to see tonight?" You ask, trying to start a conversation. Dirk huffs, and continues to stare out the front window.

"Oh, I don't know, what about 'The Forgotten Anniversary'?" He snaps, and ignores your question. You flinch at his response, but pretend to remain oblivious.

You fake a giggle. "I don't think that one's out yet, Dirk! How about 'Truth or Dare'?" You ask, pushing for an answer out of your partner.

"Mmhmm," Dirk responds, not taking his eyes off the road. You can tell he's pissed at you, but doesn't want to say anything. You quickly take out your phone and text Roxy.

GT: Roxy, help! dirk isnt talking to me since he thinks *i* forgot about our anniversary!

TG: cant help ya jakey, but know me and janey r all ready to distract dirky! just say the word
and were ready >:)

GT: Thanks, Roxy! ill let you know when the movie is over.

You turn off your phone and glance at Dirk, who is still focused on driving.

"Strider, talk to me." You say, nudging Dirk's shoulder. He shrugs you off and ignores your statement. "Please? What am I missing?" You ask, determined to keep up your facade.

"If you don't remember, you don't deserve to know." Dirk snaps, ending the conversation. You look down at your feet. Even though you want the special dinner to be a surprise, you're tempted to tell Dirk everything. But no, you must keep pretending that you forgot. You really want today to be special.

Soon, you arrive at the movie theater. You pay for the tickets, get snacks, and go into the theater. Normally, you and Dirk would snuggle together while watching a movie, but today, Dirk is completely separated from you.

"Dirk, I'll be going to the bathroom. I'll be back soon!" You say, standing up. Dirk barely glances at you.

"Right. Don't forget to come back." He says quietly, not taking his eyes off the movie screen.