Putting Back The Pieces

Chapter One

Jemma sat quietly in a mediocre hospital chair, wondering about how she could possibly explain what happened in the last few days.

Maybe, she thought, she would let the doctor explain what had happened to Fitz, and tell the group herself how they had ended up at the Playground base.

The others were taking the truth detector test for their lanyards with Billie Koenig. Simmons was sitting quietly in Fitz's room in the medical ward, listening to the monotonous beeps and his slow and irregular breathing.

"Fitz," She whispered, "Everyone came. How will I tell them what happened?"

No answer came from him, still comatose.

"We're going to be okay, Fitz. I-I-I think so." Her vision blurred and she let herself sob, with no one there to hold her.

Whenever she was like this, he would be there for her. But now he couldn't even move a muscle. Skye or Triplett would've helped her, but they were elsewhere. In a way, she was alone.

There was a soft knock on the door as it creaked open.

"Jemma?" She didn't need to look up to know it was her newfound friend Doctor Gillian Elms.

The first time she had seen Gillian was while she had been laying in the decompression chamber. The head doctor from the med team treating Fitz had appeared to speak with Director Fury. She had given Simmons a quick smile and gave her the news she needed to hear.

"I've been in numerous emergencies like this before, and your friend is by far doing the best of them."

They had found each other again at the Playground. Simmons was happy that she didn't have to always be around Billie Koenig. After seeing his dead body, she was a little unsure around him.

Gillian comforted Simmons any way she could. Sometimes it would be encouragement that Fitz was doing pretty good. Then it would turn into stories about meeting Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff.

What would she try today?

"Oh Jemma," she said, walking over and wrapping her arms around her. After a few minutes the sobs ceased and Simmons gently pushed her off.

"Thank you," She said quietly.

"Anytime, Jemma. I came by to check up on Fitz. You know, doctor stuff. And I brought you some books. Any books help me through hard times. I have more if you want to read anymore." She took out three books.

Dr.Bird's Advice For Sad Poets

Paper Towns

The Vigilante Poets Of Selwyn Academy

"They're all young adult books, but it's all I ever I read." Simmons almost smiled.

"Thank you, Gillian. I'll read them. Please, call me Simmons if you'd like."

"Will do. I should probably do this check up now." She said, returning to her doctor self. Jemma felt a little alone again.

She found herself squeezing Fitz's hand, wishing she could squeeze life into it.

She needed him to be okay.

(I AM FINALLY DOING ANOTHER FITZSIMMONS STORY IM REALLY HAPPY

I am still doing Behind The Reputation as well, so check that out.

Love y'all!)