Chapter 3 - Captured

Chapter 3 - Captured ©2018CarolynAnnAish

Twenty miles had passed under Boy's feet before his mind turned to his meagre food supply. The meat, cheese and bread, molded together, tasted wonderful, and Boy's satisfied hunger turned to thirst. Moving further from the road, Boy hunted for a water-source, trying to keep mindful of his location in relation to the road. A small spring supplied his need. Curling up in the long grass at the edge of the thicket, Boy fell into a slumber. The increasing warmth of the sun settled him into a deeper sleep.

When he awoke, crimson colors of a brilliant sunset painted the billowing clouds deep shades of pink, which seemed to glisten in the darkening blue sky. He finished the remaining bread, trekking to the spring for another draught of its sparkling water. Using the cloth, he washed his face, arms and hands, feeling much revived. Boy pulled some of the threads from the fraying curtain fragment, and twisted them, forming a crude stringy cord to hold the pendant. Threading the cord through the link on the silver rectangle, he tied a secure knot and put the circlet over his head, pushing the amulet down the top of his tunic. "Give me luck," he whispered.

Regaining the road, Boy continued his journey north-east. In the welcome light of the later-rising moon, Boy could easily pick out his path. Only a few times did he hide as horses' hooves warned of travelers on the dusty road. The journey seemed much longer than when he had walked with Seymour, Boy thought.

Barby was twenty-five miles from Calbe, but Boy had started this journey earlier than the previous night's, and he was able to sleep for some hours before daylight came and revealed to him the closeness of the town walls. He had chosen an unconcealed spot and as he stood to stretch, he saw a guard, atop the gate tower, pointing him out to a colleague. Boy scuttled through the open gates and tried to remember where it was that Seymour had taken him, almost two years ago. The town awakened with people hurrying in all directions, some carrying heavy loads, men leading laden horses and donkeys, carts of every description and size moving to and fro bearing all manner of goods and provisions.

Overpowering food odors wafted in the morning air. Boy's nostrils caused his mouth to water at the intake of air flavored with spiced ham cooking in a pastry wrap. Following his nose, Boy found himself in the middle of a hub of activity, the Town Square. Merchants advertised their 'incomparable' wares, shouting at the tops of their voices, their cries mingling with those who haggled earnestly over the price of a desired article. Barby was much larger than Calbe, which was twice Bernberg's size. Boy stared and listened. He wondered, What will the capital city be like? Brandenburg; home of thousands. The seat of the country ... where Seymour said my parents live.With these thoughts, Boy began to think seriously of locating the Chief Sage, Sage Jeffrey. Not all sages are deceptive ... surely not.

The task was more difficult when Boy could not recall the street. He decided to ask directions to the Symposium, remembering that the sage's home was nearby. One merchant was most obliging in giving directions and at Boy's beseeching stare of hunger, he scratched some large crusty crumbs, from the warm pies he was selling, into his fat greasy hand and offered the fragments to the lad. Cupping his hands, Boy thanked the man. Feeling greedy and ill-mannered, Boy turned his back and scoffed the tasty pastry, taking care not to drop one delectable crumb.

The Symposium was near the large court building and Boy felt apprehensive to see guards standing on duty at the huge double doors of the imposing judgment hall. Compared with the court at Bernberg, where the guards stood inside, this building was immense. He hoped he would never have to visit such a place again.

As Boy expected, the Symposium doors were locked. Sessions were not convened every day; and only in the afternoons. Feeling very bold, Boy approached a passer-by and enquired if he knew where Sage Jeffrey lived. Unlike Bernberg, not everyone here knew the whereabouts of other residents. Boy had to ask four people before a lad gave him directions to the sage's home.