Chapter 14 - Rambert

Chapter 14 - Rambert ©2018CarolynAnnAish 

Boy scrambled up the steep rocky surface under the bridge, catching his breath as he found himself walking beside a low stone wall which diminished rapidly to join with the cobbled street over which he had ridden upon his hastened entrance into this city. 

He looked across the intersection, down the main highway to the double arches of the Brandenburg Gate. Choosing a street that led to the city square, he soon discovered that many narrow, cobbled streets of the city merged with this avenue. Boy was surprised to find the place so alive with people at this early hour. There were men pushing hand-carts; women with children, slaves carrying water containers, servants with bundles of washing, and Brandish soldiers beginning their duties for the day. Everyone walked at a purposeful pace, some stepping in the opposite direction from Boy but many moving towards the city square. Thankful that he did not see any blue uniforms, Boy was also pleased not to hear horses on these narrow ways. That people took no notice of the boy wearing the silk night-shirt was of great relief to him.

Inquiring from those who didn't seem to be in such hurry, Boy soon found the Symposium, which was closed. No one could tell him where a 'Rambert' lived, so Boy asked where a sage, any sage, lived. Soon he was rapping the knocker at the door of a sage's house. A servant-woman swung the door open. Obviously expecting someone else, she eyed Boy disdainfully. Stepping outside, she looked up and down the street.

"Well?" she demanded, folding her arms across her thick waist. The woman's countenance glowered with hostility.

"I'm hoping you'll be able to help me," Boy began, smiling, "I have to find the home of Rambert, the sage." He saw the woman eying him suspiciously.

"There is no Rambert the sage!" The woman said, stepping back inside.

Boy quickly stepped up on the doorstep, asking, "Then, do you know where Rambert lives? Any Rambert?" He placed his hand upon the closing door, preventing her rude action, "Please, kind lady; it's important. I must find Rambert ... he ... he had a brother, called Herman and another called Herbert.

The sound of these names caused the woman to freeze. Shaking herself back to life, she shook her head.

"Then, please, kind lady, please allow me to speak to the sage who lives in this house. You must know that a sage is committed to giving counsel to those who seek his wisdom?"

The woman was about to retort that her unwanted early visitor should attend the Symposium in the afternoon, where he could receive all the wisdom he wanted, but she realized such words would not be her master's choice. Something about Boy and his polite persistence caused her to change her mind.

"Very well. You can come along in. Mind, Sage Frazier is at his reading and prayers and won't be disturbed until he's done. You'll have to sit somewhere where you'll keep your place and I can keep an eye on you!" She led the way along the narrow hallway to a large kitchen-dining room. Placing a pitcher of water and a mug on the table, she indicated that Boy sit and drink.

"Thank you." Boy spoke to the woman's back as she turned to stir the small cauldron which hung over the fire-place.

Turning back, the woman asked, "Did someone beat you?"

Remembering his bruises, Boy shook his head, saying, "I had a small accident," he explained, "I fell off a horse." The woman relaxed her posture towards him.

The knocker sounded from the door.

"That will be the deliveries which my husband ordered," she said, moving off, warning, "mind; don't wander about. As I said, keep your place there."