Chapter 5 - Hope of Escape

Chapter 5 - Hope of Escape ©2018CarolynAnnAish

Bethleona's face illustrated, graphically, past ordeals. She timidly pushed backwards and into Fifi's side as though fearing punishment. The boss, followed by Sir Helmut and a guard, strode purposefully across to the small group. Fifi curtsied again, and the young girl followed suit. Thaddeus and Blade bowed. Willi, having stoked the fire with coal so there would be sufficient energy to cook the evening meal, slunk out of the chamber, shivering and shaking, as if striving to blend in with the very mortar holding the stones together on the walls.

The boss's eyes widened as they fell on the prisoner lying prostrate on the floor-mat. Anger flooded his face when he realized it was the new prisoner.

Speaking to Sir Helmut with a growl in his deep voice, he accused, "I thought you said the boy was well!" Pointing his fore-finger, the boss indicated that Helmut check the boy. With his eyes upon the captive he had travelled to inspect, he lowered himself into the armchair. Next, The boss glowered at Beth, then at Thaddeus. His scrutiny finally fell on Blade, who stared at his master in awe.

"Didn't Ken do his job properly?" The boss asked.

"Too well, I think, Sir." Blade answered, then explained, "He didn't give the lad time to eat, or rouse himself ... just forced that drug into him ... all the time he roused a bit ... until he left us at the shore of the lake. We had a long wait for the boat ..."

"Well?" the boss questioned, his eyes on Helmut.

"He's sleeping it off. He's really quite strong, Sir. His breathing's quite normal ..." Helmut answered.

"Quite? Fifi." The boss turned to the woman, who cringed at the sound of her name coming from the dreaded lips. "What do you say of the lad, woman?"

"He's much stronger than Miss Cherie was ..." Fifi was going to add, "and Miss Beth," but the boss interrupted.

"I should hope so! I'll have Ken drawn and quartered if he dies!" The boss stood and commanded, "Go to your cells ... or to the book chamber." He nodded at Helmut and the guard, then looked around for Willi, "I'll have a drink and perhaps by then the lad will be awake." Squatting beside Boy, he said, "Yes. It is he, I'm sure. How much more like his father he has grown. We'll check his birthmark; then there'll be no doubt."

Boy slept for over an hour, and when he woke, it was to find Sir Helmut leaning over him. He started with fright at the closeness of the huge, prickly-bearded, sharp-featured face. As Boy blinked and roused, struggling to sit, the man's deep voice resounded loudly in his ears, causing him to recoil.

"Ah, you're awake!" Helmut looked up at the boss, and made the unnecessary announcement, "He's awake, Sir!" His tone showed his relief.

The guard pivoted away to stand behind the armchair and Boy's eyes moved slowly from the boss's brilliantly polished-boots, up from the gold buckles, following the velvet breeches, then the gold-edged tunic; up, up, up; resting briefly on the well-trimmed beard, then the long hook nose, growing wider-eyed as he digested the fierceness of the face.

The boss's eyes blazed haughtily down, keenly watching for Boy's recognition and reaction. The air in the room was warm, but Boy sensed something amiss. His tunic had been removed and he wore only his knee-length breeches. The upper garment lay beneath him, and he wriggled to retrieve it, clutching it to his chest, feeling naked before the boss's unwelcome scrutiny.

Boy's eyes flew back to the boss's face, this time in recognition.

"Sir ... Sir ... Lin ..." Boy's voice was flat. He remembered the name, the face, but nothing more. An unpleasant, disheartening, ominous feeling crept through his veins and he shuddered.