Wicker

Every time I close my eyes I see her pin straight white hair with its light pink tips & her bright blue eyes. Always full of cheer, always smiling. There wasn't a soul in the world who hated her. She had a brilliant talent for singing. Why anybody would want to hurt her is a mystery to me. It's been a month since her disappearance & it seems everyone has given up hope. Her 3 sisters, mother, & father have decided to throw an empty coffin in the ground. As if that would help anything.

The search for her has seized; my parents tell me it's ok to grieve, but that it's time to move on. How can I when I feel like she's watching me, like she's still here. Every turn, every decision, & everywhere I go she has left an imprint. Sometimes I feel that if I turn my head really quick I'll see her there next to me. She would make some joke to cheer everyone up. Not only that, but I feel guilty. I was supposed to be with her that night except I wasn't feeling well, so I stayed home.

My parents are glad I wasn't there. Their scared that if I had been that I would be gone too. People called us twins, because we were so close. Without her I feel lost, confused, empty, & if I'm being honest betrayed. I couldn't just sit here any longer! I can't go to a funeral when I know she isn't dead. She won't be in that coffin. She is still here, I just have to find her. As the saying goes 'desperate times call for desperate measures'. Tonight, was going to be my desperate measure.

In my town, Willow Hollow, there is a legend that has been told since I was a little girl. Brendon Wicker, a boy my age, 17, was hung by a group of jocks in a drunk haze. They were supposed to be his friends. It was 2002, Brendon was a kind, smart kid as well as a jock. Participating in basketball, football, & swim team. Everyone said he had great potential to get out of this town & make something of himself. His father was a drug addict who left when he was only 2 months old. His mother raised him while jumping from boyfriend to boyfriend before turning into the local prostitute.

That's why he considered his teams family. Now, of course, with every legend it goes around town possibly changing from person to person. The way I heard it was...one dreadful Halloween night the teams went to a legendary annual party right on the border of town. Brendon wen as a designated driver for his friends. In a drunken haze his friends grew violent. The intoxicated jocks placed a bag over his head & tied his wrists & ankles with rope. Once he was subdued they decided to play a bad prank on the helpless jock.

His supposed friends carried him to a big willow tree. They made a noose as a prop to scare him before hanging it from the tree. As if it was a game they removed the bag from his head & staged what was supposed to be a fake execution. They acted it out & when the fun was over they were about to take him down & set him free. Just when they were going to help the frightened Brendon down once of his majorly drunk friends accidentally hit the chair he was standing on knocking it over.

Brendon was hung, strangled to death by the noose. His hands & feet still tied as his last breath was taken. The rest of the legend goes that they threw his body in a close by lake, so no evidence was found. That was until they graduated & some of them finally came clean. However, Brendon's story didn't end there. He couldn't rest in peace. As it's been told his spirit remained around the tree he was hung from. Jocks that were guilty for his death, but never found to be so was found hung by the handfuls every Halloween.

That same tree caused their deaths. For some odd reason, one Halloween it all stopped with the handing of the teams' captain. Some say it stopped because he was the last one guilty, others say he's still out there. No more hangings have occurred.

Tonight, would be the first Halloween without my friend. I needed to find her. That desperate measure I was talking about, yeah you can guess what it is. I'm going to try & find Brendon Wicker at his tree. Why you ask? Let me tell you the rest of the legend.