Wanderlust

Onyx & Wonder

The cold winter air enveloped me as I opened my car door. I tightened my coat around me as I got out of my silver Mustang, closing the door behind me. A chilly breeze whipped past me making my long rose gold hair flow behind me. Goosebumps appeared on my skin in the short walk to the door of my favorite café. As soon as I walked in I was greeted by warmth, hugging me like a blanket. The smell of warm vanilla, chocolate, & peppermint wafted to my nose welcoming me. My senses were instantly pleased with the familiar little café. I walked to the back corner heading straight to a booth, sliding into it till I was by the window. As I peeled off my coat I looked through the glass at the dreary scenery.

Not a minute later a different more masculine smell rushed to my nose as someone slid into the booth next to me. This smell was by far one of my favorites as it always made my heart feel at home & fluttered at the wake of it. I smiled as I turned to look at the source of the fragrance. Three years & I still couldn't get over how handsome he was. His black messy hair that I loved to play with, his ocean blue eyes that I could get lost in, & his silky voice that took me to another world, all adding up to my boyfriend, Onyx Wilde.

It was his smooth alluring voice that pulled me from my thoughts, "how is my beautiful compass?"

My heart fluttered at the nickname he used on me & it only quickened when he wrapped an arm around my shoulders pulling me into his side.

I curled into his embrace enjoying his company, "I'm anxious."

"Uh oh, should have known that was coming. You always have hated winter for keeping you from your adventures. My little compass is missing her journeys" he smirked.

Before I could say anything else our usual waitress approached our table.

"Hi Wonder, Onyx, the usual" she asked politely.

"Yes please" I answered for us.

"Coming right up" she smiled then walked off.

"Wonder, what's on your mind" Onyx turned to me & gently moved a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"It just gets boring doing the same thing over & over again, you know. Living life by a schedule is bland. It makes me feel trapped" I confessed.

"Well I will make it my mission to free you from your cage. Maybe we should do a road trip. I don't know, we could go see your mom in Florida or something" he told me.

"You would actually go on an eight-hour drive with me just to visit my mom" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I will go anywhere with you my compass" he grinned then kissed my head.

"I'm honored to have such a hot travelling partner" I laughed.

Just then the waitress returned setting a mug in front of each of us.

"Two peppermint cocoas, enjoy" she told us before leaving again.

I wrapped my hands around the mug allowing the radiating heat to flow into my hands.

"Ok so besides your lingering case of wanderlust, what else have you done today" Onyx took a sip of his cocoa.

"Just taught the usual painting class at the studio" I shrugged before sipping my cocoa through the hollow peppermint stick.

The warm liquid felt heavenly on my throat.

"What about you, how has your day been" I wondered.

"Just work, nothing fun" he sighed.

"I'm telling you it's time for a new adventure" I stated then kissed his cheek happily.

"You're right, I know" he chuckled.

Just like every Wednesday we sat in our favorite café talking about anything & everything. I cherished these moments more than Onyx knew. It was in these moments I felt loved & cared for, like I wasn't alone in the world. Being with Onyx helped ease my anxiousness a little bit since he always made me feel so alive. There was never a topic we couldn't talk about, we were like open books to each other just helping one another fill their pages. It was nice having someone who understood me & didn't try to change me. I wish we could just hit the road tonight & runaway from reality even if only for a few short hours.

~~~~~~~

This one is a prologue to my book Wanderlust. If you think you might be interested in reading my book let me know! I would love to hear from my readers on what they think.