Mud Stars

She didn't know how long it would take for Penelope to realize she was gone. Yet she supposed it wouldn't be long.

"Let's leave the car here so it takes her longer to realize I'm gone" Cheryl had said.

And that was how Toni found herself sprinting through the woods, Cheryl's pale hand in hers.

Neither had even taken the time to brush their teeth or hair, wanting to get out of that house as soon as possible.

Behind her, Cheryl trips over a log and tumbles to the ground, bringing Toni down with her. Cheryl's night gown is now covered in mud, little splatters of mood has covered her rosy cheeks, leaving behind specks of mud like freckles across her cheekbones.

She wiped at her cheek, smearing the mud like a makeup or a mask trying to conceal herself from the world.

"This is such a stupid idea" Cheryl spat out. Her hands were balled into fists, grabbing at clumps of grass on the ground in front of her. She looked into Toni's eyes with her own, with were saddened. Her teeth where clenched together.

Toni sighed and leaned against a tree, watching Cheryl. She shook her head. "It's all we can do for now"

"I've just dragged you into my problems"

"And would if I wanted to be dragged into them Cheryl?"

Cheryl looked down at her mud covered hands. "She will find me you know. She always does"

"You've run away before?" Toni asked. Cheryl shook her head up and down.

Toni pulled a leaf out of her own hair. "This time will be different. We will get sheriff Keller and the mayor involved. We will call child protective services"

"She will kill me" Cheryl whispered.

"Not if we hide you" Toni stood up and brushed leaves off her self. "Let's go" she extended a hand to Cheryl. "If we can get to my grandpas before you mom knows your gone, we will ha e a head start on getting the police involved"

Cheryl nodded and took Toni's hand.