Runnin with the wolves

It takes a lot to be a nomad

Changing your region

Changing your home

Settling down is something a human strives for. To build a place for themselves and start a family there.

Wolves don't do that. They run, they hunt. But they travel together. In a pack. One large family that stands up and fights for one another.

Cheryl and Toni were wolves. A pack against the world.

Toni's grandpa had agreed to let Cheryl stay there. For the rest of that day, not a word was heard from Penelope. When Toni awoke the next morning, red plaster across her pillow, a scent that had never domesticated her bed suddenly filled the air. The scent of Cheryl and her fiery red hair sprayed across her pillow like a phoenix taking flight. Cheryl smelled of apple spice and cinnamon. It felt so familiar to Toni that she forgot her surroundings.

Then reality came to her. She was in her home, trying to hide Cheryl from the world.

She slowly creeped out of the bed and reached for her phone, making a call to Sheriff Keller. He picked up after the third ring. "Sheriff Keller speaking"

"Ugh, I- it's Toni, I think Cheryl is in danger and her parents haven't been treating her well and um, im scared for her" Toni spewed.

It was silent on the other end for a moment. "You know where she is don't you Toni?"

"No, but she had these marks on her and I'm sure her parents are abusing her. There's gotta be something you can do"

"I could put in a case with child protective services, but that could take awhile" he sighed.

"We need immediate results" Toni was stern.

"Ok ok, I will call them right now, but we can't have proof If we don't see the marks on her body. Cheryl is missing and we have no body"

"I- I'll call her and tell her the situation" Toni agreed. "I know she will answer my call"

"Ok, tell her to come into the station tomorrow" Sheriff Keller replied and then hung up.

Toni set her phone down and turned around. Cheryl was sitting up and staring at her. Her hair was knotted and mud streaks still laid across her face.

"You should take a shower" Toni smiled. "I probably should to. Let's go take one"

"Together?" Cheryl asked.

Toni shrugged. "Why not?" Cheryl stood up and they walked into the bathroom. Locking the door behind them.