i n t r o d u c t i o n

I was born on April 25, 2005. My family was waiting for the good news. It was 11:50 pm when I was born. My family wasn't much. I had my mom, dad, and grandma. When my dad heard he was going to be a dad for the first time, he was a little worried. They were only 19 at the time.

My grandma was willing to help raise me as I got older. My grandma would take over a lot.

When I was two, my dad, well he bailed on my mother. His mother or my grandma was so sorry when he left. She stayed with my mother. She was so disappointed in her son, she doesn't even like to talk to him.

***

Like any other baby, I grew older. With a mother, grandmother, and with no father. I always asked about him. I didn't know why he left or who he was. My mother made sure he was forgotten in our house.

***

My name is Ann. Jessica Ann to be exact. My father picked out my first name. My mother picked out my middle name. I always had my fathers last name on my birth certificate. Kourwinnie, which I never really knew if I was ever pronouncing it right. I eventually learned when it actually sounded like when my mother finally told me about him.

I pronounced it like (core - win - e)

It's actually pronounced (car - inn - e)

Don't ask me why it's spelled weird. Last names are pretty weird. My mother never wanted me to use my real last name when I went to school. I always used her last name. Which was way easier to say. My full name is Jessica Ann Rose. My mother always called me Ann Rose. I never had a middle name when at school. I was just Ann Rose.

***

At school it was always weird. My friends and classmates all had middle names, but I was boring.

I wouldn't get made fun of it would just be a weird conversation when people asked me my middle name. When I moved school once I just told people I had one, just never really told them that it was Ann, because if they found out, my mother would be mad at me for bringing it up.

***

My life, well it was always weird. My mother never really liked me. I looked too much like my father. I always reminded her of him. Some days she would just come home from work and go straight to her room. Telling me "Do your chores" but I never did.

Our house was always a mess. My room was the cleanest place.

I wasn't aloud to have sleepovers at my house, but my mother was always worried my father would come back. She needed to protect me, and I get it. Some days it got hard. I wasn't aloud on the internet, and I could never go out with my friends.

My day was going to school, coming back, and doing something to make the time go by faster.

My grandmother always worried about me, but I learned some things.