f o u r t e e n

When my mom brought McKenna and Elissa back home I was a little worried about my mom and dad. McKenna and I went into the kitchen and saw my dad sitting at the island. He had bottles everywhere, there were ten on the counter and he was drinking another one.

"Hey James, we're home..." our mom stopped when she saw all the bottle around him. She grabbed my hand and brought us all to the living room. She turned on the television and put a pillow under Kenna's left arm.

She walked back towards the kitchen. Elissa joined me on the couch. We were watching Criminal Minds.

Elissa told me the rest of the story after in happened and I'll tell you her version too.

***

Jessica's POV

I saw McKenna look back and Elissa jumped. I didn't know what they were saying or doing.

I look back to see plates smashed. Elissa got up and ran into the kitchen to check on our mother.

McKenna stayed put and so did I.

After a while we ended up outside. My mother was freaking out. McKenna was trapped in the house. My father was in there too. The police were on their way. Our mom was telling McKenna to hide, that the police would be there soon.

***

McKenna's POV

The tv was pretty loud, but my dad was louder.

"You call that parenting!" My dad started, "you can't just let Kenna watch all three kids. You should have gone with her,"

"Stop James!"

"We don't have enough money to take care of all these children June!"

'There is only four and yes I can,"

"How?"

"I'm doing my best to get a job, what are you doing?"

"Not important,"

"No you know what! It is important, because we have Levi who is sick! Kenna broke her arm and Jessica can't hear anything. She is confused James and what are you doing? Nothing James! Your doing nothing to help this family," I hear a crash and my eyes close. Elissa gets up and I want to follow her. I think about it and hear another crash. I get up and run towards the kitchen.

There were plates smashed everywhere and mom was on the floor with Elissa. My dad looked at me I backed up. His face turned from angry to sad when he looked at my face and my broken arm.

"McKenna," he says. I back up.

"McKenna?" I don't turn my back towards him as I back up heading towards my room.

"McKenna wait," I finally turn around at bolt up the stairs. I could hear him walking after me.

"McKenna I'm sorry," he says as I shut and lock my door. I hid in the closet, crying, scared and worried. I no longer hear him. But, I hear another crash and a door slamming shut.

***

My phone buzzes, I look at it. There are three text messages.

From Kendall: Hey, how r u? I'm so bored. Want to come over?

From Mom: McKenna. The police are on their way. Hide!

From Dad: McKenna, please come out, I need to talk to you.

***

I answer my mom first, then Kendall, but I never answered James.

To Mom: I'm in the closet. Whereis everyone else?"

To Kendall: Can't talk right now, but I promise I'll catch u up, K?"

***

They both replied not too long after.

From Kendall: Okay.

From Mom: Police are here, do you hear James?"

To Mom: I think he is outside my door, where is Elissa, Jessica and Levi?"

From Mom: They are all outside with me, police are coming, stay safe. I'll tell them where you are. Don't worry. I don't think James will hurt u.

To Mom: Okay.

***

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs. I hear my lock trying to be picked.

I don't move. Worried it might be James I stay hidden.

"McKenna, this is the police we are coming in," suddenly I hear my door open and the closet door opens. I come out and a girl takes me out of the house. I run to my mom and hug her.

"Are you okay?" she asked. I nodded, but start to cry. I see James being walked out of the house and into a police car.

"What's going to happen?" I ask.

"We are moving early," my mom replies.

End of McKenna's POV

***

Our father ended up being released about a week later. We moved to Prairie as we kept low so my father wouldn't find us.

My mother was worried he would came looking for us.

We had to stay positive. We were now going to school with Kendall. I know Kendall is McKenna's friend, but I like to think of her as my friend too, since she is always there for Elissa, Levi and me through our tough times.