The Huntzbergers

Rory's POV
We enter the Huntzberger Mansion, as I get the same feeling in my stomach as I did all those years ago that first dinner here, where Honor was going to tell her parents she and Josh were getting married.

"Mom, Dad." Logan says as we walk inside.
"Logan, it's so great to see you!" Honor says, pushing her way to hug her brother.
"Rory!" Honor says. "It;s been too long, girl! Spending time with you the other day was so fun!" Honor says.
"It was fun! Thanks for such a great day!" I say, hugging Honor back.
"The other day?" Shira asks.
"Yes, mom. Rory is one of my good friends. We hang out." Honor says, covering our butts.
"Hello Shira, Mitchem. It's great to see you again." I say, plastering on a fake smile. I see a surprised look being exchanged between Logan and Honor.
"Hello dear. Welcome to our home. Mitchem, please take them into the parlour and get them some drinks. Standing in the foyer is causing a draft to come into the house." Shira says, ever complaining.

"So Rory, what have you been up to lately?" Mitchem asks.
"Well, I've actually been taking a break from the whole reporting and journalism thing. I'm writing a book." I say.
"Well, that sounds good. You know I own a publishing company, if you'd like, we can read it and see if you'd like to publish it." Mitchem offers.
"That would be great, Mitchem. I'll let you know what I decide." I say.
"Wonderful. Now, what would you like to drink?" Mitchem asks.

We have a sincere conversation and Shira just sat down as the doorbell rings.

Shira gets up and answers it, and doesn't say much besides a cordial "hello" to Emily.

"Grandma!" I say jumping up and walking over to hug her.
"Rory, dear. It's been far too long. Now, Shira, may I have a drink please?" Emily asks.
"Of course. What would you like?" Shira asks.
"White wine please." Emily says. "It's going to be a long night."
"Grandma, really, you sound like Mom." I say, laughing.

We sit for another 45 minutes before a maid comes into the parlour telling us that dinner is ready.

We file into the dining room, where Logan and I sit next to each other, Emily, Honor, and Josh sit across from us. Their kids are playing upstairs with a nanny.

"So Mom, Dad, Rory and I have some news." Logan says.
"Grandma, I can tell by the look on your face that you're nervous. I promise it's good news." I say.
"Honor, you already know, and by the look on Josh's face, he knows too." Logan says, laughing.
"Well, what is it Logan. This is getting boring." Shira says, taking a sip of her martini.
"Well, Logan and I are expecting a baby!" I say.
"Oh Rory, that's wonderful!" Emily says, her face lighting up like a kid on Christmas.
"That's wonderful, Rory, Logan. I'm really happy for you." Mitchem says.
"Thanks Dad." Logan says, glancing at me.
"I'd like to speak with the two of you after dinner, if that's alright." Mitchem says.
"Of course." I say.
"Shira, get back in here. I thought you stopped stress smoking." Mitchem says loudly across the dining room to the french doors where Shira was standing with a trail of smoke leaving her mouth.
"Mom, that's horrible for the baby." Honor says.
"So? She's still not good enough for this family." Shira says turning around, continuing to smoke.
"Shira, may I ask something?" Emily says.
"Not like it'll make a difference." Shira says, still outside.
"Do you know who Rory's dad is?" Emily asks. I give a look that asks "are you sure you want to do this?"
"No, probably some poor kid her mother hooked up with in high school." Shira says.
"No. Rory's dad is Christopher Hayden." Emily says.
"What? Rory, that's true?" Mitchem asks.
"Yes, I'm sorry I didn't bring it up. He wasn't really around too much while I was growing up." I say.
"Rory, now might not be the best time to tell you, but both Francine and I want you to be the one to take the Gilmore and Hayden fortunes when we pass. We thought about your parents, but Gigi isn't ready nor will she want the responsibility, and you're their only child." Emily says.
"You're kidding, right Grandma?" I ask.
"No, I'm serious. Mitchem, may I join that conversation later tonight?" Emily asks.
"Of course, you're more than welcome Emily." Mitchem says.