chapter 2

It was a  two weeks after  our 17th birthday. Then nana collapsed. She had some collapses before but this one was Serious. When we came Back from self- defence class  we found her on the floor choking on her own blood.

" nana? We're home, we brought mexican"

I said as Ollie dropped everything  had and rushed over to her. He screamed at me as I was running towards her almost as that was the last thing I could do. I  quickly dropped my bags and leaned down next to her. I quickly checked her breathing before I demanded Ollie to pass me a knife and a straw.

"Are you out of your mind ang?"

" JUST DO IT OLLIE!"

Even though we never argued he could really get on my nerves.
I screamed as I try to find a pressure point on the top of her lungs, I was amazed at the fact that I wasn't shaking, it was like I was doing what a professional surgeon would do.

Ollie throws the knife whilst I catch it perfectly without looking and I start to press down with the knife  on the point I had my finger on

"Ollie?"
    I ask impatiently.
" now"
I say as if it's saying 'duhh'

"One second , I'm looking"

I poke my finger into the cut I had just made and let some of the blood seek through, hoping it was blood  that was stuck in her lungs and not the disease she had kept from us for the past three weeks. She wasn't exactly good at keeping painkiller pills. Even deep sleep pills, she should of

I  reach for the elastic band in my bag and empty the plastic bag with our water bottles in it, I shake the bag up and down to empty the damn thing meanwhile I can hear Ollie messing up the kitchen making the clattering sound you would whilst in a cutlery drawer .

My hands were trembling and my heart was thumping though I was in no fear that we would lose.

Then Ollie quickly passes me the straw so  I push it through the cut and then slowly take my hand out of the cut  and tie the bag to the end of the straw.
Ollie let out a deep sigh as nana starts to breath properly.

" where did you learn that?"

He asks as I clean my hands with the towel on the floor.

" I listen in class dimwit"

I say, dialling 911.

I shake the nerves in my hand and look back at him. He chuckles at me whilst I start to talk to the lady on the phone. I explain that we found her choking and I helped a bit with the medical care but I still wanted her to go to hospital. She congratulated me and told me to stay put.

" we'll be right there ma'am"

"Thank you"

After me and Ollie clean up the messed up living room the ambulance rush inside helping nana ,that had a pillow underneath her head and was lying on the floor, onto the bed.

Ollie reluctantly followed the ladies and  I soon followed him, grabbing my bag and the car keys.

We got into the car and followed the ambulance. We weren't really afraid of what was going on because we normally feel people before they die.

I think we got that gift from our mom, or even ancestors.

It was a gift we kept to ourselves like the fact that when we touch we feel each others emotions, we had  been practising and trying to ease or even take away pain.

Maybe  our mom was a phsyco or something because we definitely did not get that feeling from our run-away dad. We were full of different ideas for this messed up family.