Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter 1

Two 12-year-olds were standing face to face on a battlefield. Villagers ran around fighting near them. Houses were getting destroyed and people were getting attacked as the dragons swooped down and fired. Those two stood off with serious expressions on their face, and a grim determination in their eyes, but for different reasons. 

"Are you an idiot?! You could've gotten killed!" said a blond-haired girl. She wielded an ax and was moving it around very dangerously. She had scratches on her arm and looked disheveled, but was fine overall. She looked like she would kill someone right now.

"Hey! I'm not stupid . . . I don't think they would've hurt me," the brown-haired boy said. He was carrying no weapon and seemed to be unscathed. 

"They're dragons! They don't care about humans! Of course they were going to kill you! You have a kingdom to take care of. What would they do without you?!" she shouted waving her hands around. She was furious and ready to hit her ax on something very quickly. 

The boy gave her a sheepish smile. "You can't be sure they would've killed me."

Her eyes turned cold and ruthless. Her face darkened like she was remembering a bad memory. "Dragons always, always go for the kill." She turned around and headed towards a dragon. "You'd best remember that before you or someone close to you gets killed." She walked away swinging her ax and charging towards a gronkle.

The boy was left alone as he stared at her back. He admired her strength and bravery. But he didn't agree with her view of dragons. He couldn't blame her though. Not after what happened. He shook his head and turned around.

"Dragons always, always go for the kill." she had said. 

So why hadn't he?