Chapter 3: Dragons & Girls

Chapter 3

By next morning, everything was packed up and ready to go. They went out in carriages one by one with guards to reach the kingdom. While Hiccup knows dragons would be faster, the Hofferson Kingdom only recently accepted dragons, and he didn't want to scare them. He sent the dragons out ahead of them, and they would meet them at the kingdom. 

The nobles and servants were all currently in different carriages, but Hiccup had made sure all his friends were in the same carriage with him. Though, as he watched the smirk on some of their faces, he began to regret it.

Snotlout opened his mouth and said, "So . . . Astrid huh?" Hiccup quickly glared at Snotlout. Snotlout was currently wearing his royal clothes and was prepared for Hiccup to be rejected upon reaching there. He had voiced his thoughts multiple times in that manner. ("You want to try to get Astrid Hofferson! Are you crazy?! You'd have more luck trying to beat Drago!" "We already did that, Snotlout." "Uhh, no. He's still alive somewhere. He could come at any moment and attack. And that's another thing. You should have killed him when you had the chance!")

Fishlegs started to defend him. "Well, you can't exactly blame him, Hiccup. You've rejected every single girl ever since you became chief 5 years ago. And then you accept an invitation to have a try at marrying Princess Astrid."

"I hear Princess Astrid is a dangerous but beautiful girl. Talk has it that the last guy who tried anything on her got a broken arm," Tuffnut added while petting his pet, Chicken. Hiccup could never understand how he got attached to him, but Tuffnut kept him, even after discovering about his double life.

"Well, maybe Hiccup wants to break some arms. Or try to fight her. That would be awesome," Ruffnut said. She was smiling mischievously and wore a ballgown. She hated them, but even she knew better than to come wearing pants to another kingdom as she was about to meet the royal family. Though Hiccup would bet his money she was wearing pants underneath the gown.

"Guys, I don't want to fight her. I'm coming for her ceremony. I don't have to be coming to try to get married to her and I'm not. So, drop it," Hiccup said as he glared at all of them. They all gave him an unimpressed look.

"Yeah right," Snotlout muttered.

"Alright . . ." Fishlegs said. Hiccup was sure though that Fishlegs would bring it up later.

"Of course, your highness," Ruffnut added in a teasing tone. She then went over and whispered over to Tuffnut, "The poor boy's in denial. How sad."

Tuffnut answered with a whisper, "The poor boy. Luckily, he has us."

He then proceeded to hug Hiccup and pat his head like a baby while repeating over and over, "It's alright, Hiccup. We understand." Hiccup frowned from his position and was ready to retort when he heard a crash outside along with some shouts. He quickly pushed himself off Tuffnut and looked out the window. Up in the sky, flying about, was a Monstrous Nightmare. 

Oh, great. Just what I needed, Hiccup thought. He stepped outside quickly and surveyed the scene. Luckily, only the trees were damaged, but it wouldn't stay like that for long. A soldier approached him.

"The dragon came out of nowhere sir and tried to attack us. We aren't sure what to do. Should we engage in battle?" the soldier asked. Hiccup looked up the dragon again and realized it was a female. Females are very protective of their eggs. Hiccup thought a little.