Nine

It had only been four hours since Harper had left, and the penthouse already felt empty. Too empty.

Tony sighed, for what he felt to be the 100th time, as he went through another set of interface variations for the Ultron program. Nearly two weeks, and they still hadn't managed to do it. Not even come close to an interface, each and every single time they tried a new code compossition it always ended up not working.

"...What did we miss?" Tony asked, mostly to himself. One of the two smartest Avengers yet he couldn't manage to do just one little thing. Still, he wouldn't give up. He couldn't.

"I'll continue to run variations on the interface. But you should probably prepare for your guests."

Oh, yeah. Thor's going away party. He had completely forgotten about it, with the program, secretly expanding into a new HQ and Harper--

He seriously had been busy this past few weeks. Which made him glad to have JARVIS, he remembered things he didn't.

"I'll notify you if there are any developments."

Tony slowly walked out of the lab, placing his empty cup of coffee on a nearby table as he left the room.

"Thanks, buddy--" He was able to stop himself once he was by the door, turning his head around slightly. "-Also, Harper is supposed to call in a few hours. Can you notify me when she does?"

"Of course. enjoy yourself, sir."

"I always do." He mumbled, finally stepping through the doorframe and heading down the hall. He needed to change. And a shower.

.

.

.

"I tell you, it's a trick!"

The combined laughter of all main members of the Avengers reverbrated across the walls. It was really late at night, the party had long since ended at that point, the team deciding to have a few drinks before Thor finally left.

The theme of Thor's hammer had immediately come up in the conversation, and Tony knew, it would only end in hurt egos. Including his own, yet his currently buzzed mind was unable to recognize that.

"No, it's much more than that." Thor had simply said, placing his shot glass down on the table as he adressed Clint. The archer scoffed.

" 'Whosoever he be worthy shall haveth the power.' Whatever, man; it's a trick!"

The group burst into chuckles, and Thor simply smiled, motioning at Mjolnir; which currently sat on the table.

"Well, please. be my guest."

Clint had hesitated for a second. "Wh- really?" And Thor nodded once more, letting out a "Yeah." With a grin on his face. Barton huffed, getting up from the floor and slowly moving towards the hammer.

"Oh, this is going to be beautiful-." Rhodey quipped, garnering smiles from the rest of the group gathered; Tony chuckled, swallowing another shot of whiskey.

"Clint, buddy, you had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up-."

Laughter resounded around him and he clearly caught Clint rolling his eyes at him before motioning to the Asgardian.

"You know i've seen this before right?" Thor simply nodded, still retaining the same grin he had from the very moment he had told Clint to go on ahead and try to lift his hammer.

And he did. At least, he tried. They all tried; except Nat, and failed miserably.

The events unfolded just as Tony had predicted. Even more funnier, he reconned. Specially Bruce.