Chapter8

Prim. Dear Prim. My little sister off in the heavens. Tonight I dream of her. She has wings soaring in the sky, "Katniss! I love you Katniss..." Before soaring to the ground into a small body. At first I'm very confused and can't place where she went. Then I see it. Or her I guess. Willow. Lying there, Prim soaring into her gave her life. She is Prim. Prim is with me. I wake up to hear Peeta across the hall saying to Willow, "shh, shh, do you need Katniss? I would hate to wake her..." He trails off as I enter the room. I ask for Willow and he hands her to me. "Hi," I say. She stops crying and buries her head into my chest, finding sleep again.

The next morning I find Peeta downstairs making breakfast with an awake Willow in arm. "Prim," I say. "What?" He says suddenly noticing I'm there. "Prim..." I say again. "Katniss, Prim's not -" he begins but I cut him off. "No! I dreamt of her. She was flying, and soared into Willow's body. It gave her life.... And then I woke up." I say. Peeta stares at me for a moment, and then Willow. "Is that possible...." He trails off. I have hope that it is. She has to be.... Why else would I dream of it? I ask to take Willow and I look at her. She looks just like her. It could very well be true. "You look just like Prim," I say before a waterfall of soundless tears stream down my face.

I take a seat on the couch and let her sleep in my arms. She is beautiful. Just like prim. I take her down to the hob when she wakes and show her to the people of twelve who have been wondering about her. "She's a beauty, that one. Reminds me of that sister of yours when she was that size." Greasy sae says. I agree with her and move on around to buy some soap from a woman named Marty. She sees me and shows me a goat that was wondering a few miles out. Lady. I could tell by her leg and how old she was. "How on earth did that goat get out there?!" I ask. She shakes her head and hands me the rope. "You can take her. She might eat the food you give her since she knows ya." She says. I grab it and notice her burn scars all of over her face. She must have escaped and been afraid to return. "She's got a couple a littler ones at my place, why don't ya come around to my place and check 'em out?" She asks. I nod and head there.

One is black and one white. The black one has a feeble leg that seems to have been named on and a missing ear. No one had to get the goat knocked up after all. This one had to have been in an encounter with a bigger animal to lose an ear. I head back to the market and tell Marty I'm taking the black one. I patch up her leg and clean her. Scrubbing off bits of flesh that never fell off her ear. I clean lady and lay her down, knowing she will die soon. I hear a hiss and see buttercup has come back from his long walk to get away from lady. He hisses at her lots. Never liked her. I name the small black one ashes. She reminds me of the ones I saw on my tour of twelve after the bombing. I put her and lady in the goat pen outside the house.

It is late, I was at Marty's house for hours looking at these goats. I put Willow to bed and head there myself. My mother is coming tomorrow to see her. There will be so much to tell.