Chapter 5

I was laying face up on my soft, downy bed with my hands rested underneath my head on my pillow, relaxing my closed eyes when I lifted my wrist up to where I could make out the time showing on my old, bronze watch. Jolting out of shock, I realized the time. The small hand pointed to the twelve, the larger one resting on the one.

My eyes widened as I jerked myself up from my laying position. "Marissa, we're already five minutes late!" I screeched. The people who ran the camp were extremely strict about counselors attending 'meetings' and such on time... Especially the initial lunch, the first meeting of the summer where the big, important matters were planned.

"Crap!" She yelled in return. "Well, I look awful, but oh God. Let's go!" 

We grabbed our phones, sliding them into our pockets, and sprinted towards the elevator, tapping our feet against the marble floor impatiently as we waited for the elevator to arrive.

When the doors finally cascaded open, we flung ourself in, Marissa attacking the first floor button.

"Clicking it a million times won't help," I groaned as I threw my head back in despair.

"I don't care... We have to hurry!" She replied.

Finally, after what seemed like endless whooshing, a slight ding sounded and we catapulted ourselves out of the opening elevator doors, rushing towards the cafeteria room.

Eventually, we reached the gigantic, wooden doors that led into the cafeteria, and we threw ourselves inside.

"Now we need to discuss the grouping just a lit-" the head of the camp stated, interrupted by us bursting in, panting from all the running. The entire staff turned their heads to us.

"Uh... Hey," I said awkwardly with half of a wave, dragging the word 'hey' out.

"So, um... What did we miss?" Marissa added, just making the echoing silence slightly more awkward.

"A lot," a sharp featured girl with short, bobbed dark hair and slightly glossy cherry colored lipstick sneered.

"Quite a bit, honestly. Too much to cover in this short time period before the kids come in. I'll have Kim fill you girls out on whatever you didn't just hear," the man at the front of the room bellowed.

"Thanks, Martin," I called to him. I twisted my head slowly, expecting to see Kim looking fed up that she'd have to waste even more time on us, and shot her a sorry expression, but to my surprise she returned it with a smile and mouthed, "It's fine. Don't worry about it." Wow, we really were lucky to have a friend like her at the camp.

Marissa and I stumbled over to the large, enlongated table to grab the two seats to the right of Kim, and plopped ourselves into them, only to hear the end of Martin's speech.

"Well, we really are out of time," he beckoned, gesturing his head towards the doors, hearing giggles and stomps heading towards the room. "The campers are arriving. Have a nice lunch, you guys."

As he strutted sturdily out of the enormous room, tons of kids busted through the doors, guided by a chubby woman with unruly, dirty blonde hair. KristenI remembered her from last year. She seemed nice, but we never really became actual friends.

The kids, stumbling over each other all over the place as they grabbed seats at average sized rectangular grey tables scattered neatly throughout the room, hushed down as they realized all of the staff's gaze was directly on them.

"So... When do we get our food?" a rather overweight boy with buzzed short brown hair and a red t-shirt shouted rudely.

"We were just about to tell you that," a bony thin counselor with a barely visable beard growing in replied rather calmly. "You kids go first, grab one of those red trays and a plate over there and get in line. Tell one of the ladies what you want and she'll give it to you. Should be simple enough." He gestured over to the cart of food attended by lunch ladies with their greyed hair in hair nets, their elderly lips curled into smiles. "Since there're five groups of you, by the table, I'll adress you over. Group one to five. Now, group one. Go get in line." He seemed very addressive, perfect for someone to be taking charge of these specific children.

The group of kids at the first table ran over to the line carelessly, each grabbing a tray and plate, telling the lunch ladies what they wanted. As the ladies ladeled whatever they asked onto the kids' trays, they hopped merilly back to their seats, starting to eat as soon as their bodies touched their seats.

"Group two, you may now get in line," the same counselor addressed, the same thing happening all over again, closely followed by the three other tables. Camp Sunshine was already getting unbearably boring.

Once the kids were all settled down, chattering about and gobbling down their meals, the counselors all allowed themselves up to get into the line, orderly asking for what we wanted. Marissa and I both got the same thing, a simple grilled chicken breast and a small, round pile of fluffy mashed potatoes. 

This was why I hated Camp Sunshine; everything was just too boring. Too boring to even deal with. 

We spent about twenty minutes silently nibbling at our food, listening to the ruckus of noise the campers created. Finally, when everyone was finished with their meals, Kristen pushed herself up from her seat and guided the children towards the trash can by the doors, everyone orderly dumping their uneaten leftovers in and stacking their trays neatly onto a wooden table nearby. After all the campers had left the room, we heard the doors click shut, and silence. Just more silence, yet again. After sitting without a peep for what seemed like minutes, but what was really only a couple seconds, Kim started a train out of the room, all the counselors following, the silence making it feel so strange.

Once we were out of the cafeteria, still quiet as a mouse (even quieter, I beg to differ), Marissa and I made our way to one of the elevators, programming it to go to the second floor, and I fumbled with my finger nails a little as I waited to arrive.

The doors slid open, whizzing in just the slightest bit, only audible in the absolute silence. Marissa and I popped out, realizing that this elevator landed right beside our room, so we didn't have to walk far. Twisting the key into the door and gliding it open, I immediately plopped myself onto my bed, staring at the ceiling, Marissa doing the same and pulling out her phone and raising it into the air above her face to play Angry Birds.

"That was pretty awkward..." she giggled out.

"Right?!  I hate this camp, though... It's so boring. We literally don't do anything," I jeered.

She groaned in response. "I feel you." She smiled. "But hey, let's explore our room some more. We're going to be here all summer, after all," she snickered.

We both jerked ourselves off of our beds, and started grazing around.

"Hey, did you notice how awesome this bathroom is?" She called ecstaticly from the bathroom. "It's like, as big as our old room!" she laughed.

"Right?! So is this closet," I responded, sliding the tips of my fingers against the wooden frame of one of the shelves.

"And this desk! Legit," she giggled, me chuckling in response.

"But hey, why do we have a second closet? I don't get it. We're only supposed to have one?" I questioned, confused. 

"Heck if I know, go open it," she called over to me, starting to hang her shirts up in the closet.

"Mkay," I replied awkwardly, heading towards the door. I wrapped my fingers around the knob, the metal chilling against my warm fingers. 

I slowly pulled the door open, and peaked inside curiously, trying to see in the pitch blackness. Squinting, trying to get just a glimpse of what was inside, I screamed. "WHAT THE FU-"