Chapter 19

*Ian's POV*

"Good morning, sleepyhead," I called from editing the video we'd filmed with Megan and Marissa to Anthony, gradually stretching his way out of bed. I never really seemed to sleep as much as he was able to at this place. I wouldn't call it insomnia, but it was pretty close. "Oh, Marissa says hi."

His eyes lit up. "She came over? Why?"

"No, she called. She just wanted to tell you something. She hung up after I told her you were asleep."

He breathed a stressed puff of air between his tight lips as he slid into the bathroom to change into decent clothing. "Should I call back?" He seemed reluctant. I could hear him turn the faucet on.

"Well, yeah, but I think you're forgetting that some people have jobs that don't take place on the Internet.  Call her later, when her shift's over."

"Bot dud though tak toe lung."

"You've got to stop trying to talk while you're brushing your teeth," I said almost to myself.

The running water sound came to a halt. "I don't want to wait that long." 

"Well, too bad, because you have to. She's not going to risk no pay again to answer a phone call."

"She really didn't mention... Anything? About what she wanted to talk to me about?"

"Nada."

After about another hour of Ian editing the video and me sitting on the edge of my bed burning time, Ian left to go visit with Kim. I couldn't blame him, I would try to visit my girlfriend if she lived just next door and I constantly delayed making any contact with her.

I looked at my watch. 12:46. Marissa's lunch break had started just a minute ago. Lunch breaks at Camp Sunshine were short, so this was my time to reach her. They let counselors talk on the phone during lunch... Right?

I called her up, bouncing my knee in my chair as I waited for her to answer.

"Hello!"

"Hi!" I spoke too quickly, resulting in my voice cracking. I just hoped she didn't notice. "So, uh... Ian said you called?"

"I... I did."

Silence.

"Well, I wanted to know... Why?"

"Shit," I heard her whisper. "I don't remember, honestly. Must've just been bored at night."

"Then why didn't you just talk to Ian?"

"Well... I just don't know him very well, you know?"

"Aw, Marissa," I sighed. "Just talk to him. He's pretty nice once you get past his thick skull."

She laughed.

"You know, I'll try talking to him... Thanks."

"Any time."

I hung up feeling like I'd actually done something well. I was sure her and Ian could become great friends; and it would all be because of me.