Chapter 4

I shot my hand up to my forehead to shield the sunlight that pounded down on me when I flung open the door on the passenger's side of Marissa's truck. 

I slowly rotated myself around on the balls of my feet, squinting against the blinding summer light as I took in the view of the Sunshine Hotel.

The man who owned Camp Sunshine also owned the hotel, not too ironically, since every summer the gargantuan hotel was well over halfway filled by only Camp Sunshine residents.

The building was actually quite nice and homey looking from the outside. It really wasn't too large, but it was the perfect size to hold the average income of people it held. 

The shiny, glass, gigantic windows made up a large portion of the outer walls of the building, lined with sturdy, black metal giving it a nice, sofisticated appearance, slightly glowing with blue tint from the dim light inside of the rooms.

Squinting harshly against the white hot brightness, I heard Marissa's car door shut behind me and the trunk swing open. 

"Megan, come on! Get your bag," Marissa called over, me turning myself around and pacing toward the back of the trunk. 

I gripped my fingers around the crisp, rubbery handle, crashing it down onto the rocky street, and rolling it behind me as I heaved the trunk shut, and started following Marissa to the hotel entrance.

When we arrived at the door, we had to have someone let us in, for the lobby doors were locked for the safety of the campers. Knocking loudly on the glass door, Marissa looked around the inside of the lobby, scanning for people. 

After a few seconds, out of nowhere, a girl with caramel colored, bouncily wavy hair, a thin figure and doe brown eyes hidden by dark, wide framed sunglasses popped over to the door and flung it open. Kim. She interned at Camp Sunshine last year, and the three of us became pretty decent friends. I was glad to see she came back this year.

As soon as the door was completely open, she threw open her arms, a cheeky expression on her face. "It's so good to see you guys!"

Marissa, still being in front of me, threw her arms around Kim too. "What, did you not expect us to come back this year or something? Like that would happen," Marissa cooed into the hug.

"Well, who knows. I didn't see you here, and I automatically got worried, I was totally just overreacting. I mean, it was only like five minutes! I should've just known you guys would come back," she said as she threw her arms around me, lightly patting me on the back.

"Hey, well it's great to be back! Well, not really... But it's nice to see you," I said as I smiled at her, pulling away from the hug.

"Well, let's get you situated up in your room. Don't want to be late for lunch," she called out as she flipped around, signaling us to the elevator, tossing me a bronze, antique looking key. "Second floor, room thirteen."

Marissa and I followed her into the elevator, hearing it whoosh down to the lobby behind what our vision could see as she pressed the up arrow button outside the door. 

"Aw, you don't have to do this... Go up to your room and relax. I insist," Marissa said, sympathetically furrowing her eyebrows together. "You've probably been working all day, and it won't be a problem at all finding our own room."

"That's sweet, Marissa. But don't worry at all. I'm perfectly fine. I just want to help you," she said sweetly, hopping into the elevator as it pushed itself open. "Second floor..." she whispered under her breath, leaning over to push the elevator buttons, the door squeezing shut in front of us, jolting upward.

It only took a few seconds of course, since we were only going up to the second floor from the first, and she skipped out merrily, us still following, dragging our suitcases behind us and listening to the wheels click against the marble floor as we progressed.

After only a matter of seconds, she reached the palm of her left hand out to me, us looking confused, since we didn't know what she was hinting at.

"Key?" she nodded into, dragging out the word. "This is our stop, room thirteen."

"Oh! Oh, of course. Here you go," I said as I fumbled awkwardly through my pocket, whipping out the tiny key and plopping it into her manicured hand. 

She hummed a little, something unintelligable by the low volume as she twisted the key in the gold painted doorknob. "Well, here you go! Your room," she gestured as she slowly pushed the door open.

"Wow..." I said under my breath, surprised at the quality of our room this year compared to last year's.

"You like?" she said as she pinned her hair back behind her ear. "This was originally supposed to be my room, but... I figured, you've been working here longer than I have, and every time you get a crappy room. I thought you'd like this one better. My treat."

Marissa widened her eyes at her, smiling. "Really?! Oh, Kim, you seriously didn't have to do that. The normal rooms are fine."

"No no, I insisted you have this one. I'm sure you'll like it." she grinned her pink lips sweetly. "Well, I'm gonna go rest... Woke up really early this morning. Didn't get much sleep. I think I'll just lay down for a few. So, see you guys at lunch!" As she backed herself out of the room, she waved back at us, smiling and holding in a small yawn. Finally, she made her way out of the room, slamming it shut behind her, leaving the two of us in harsh silence.

"So... What do we do now?" Marissa asked cheekily, spinning side to side on the heels of her white sneakers slightly.

"Well, obviously, we train circus tigers," I joked, smirking a little. "Let's unpack." 

"Megan... I know I sound childish saying this, but... Can I please have the bed next to the window?! You got it last year!" she pleaded, shooting me a puppy dog expression.

"Oh, what the hell. Sure, you can have it," I replied, her grinning and catapulting her suitcase onto her new bed, unzipping it, me doing the same to mine.

I looked around the room, staring in awe at the quality. The beds were both queen sized, with fluffy turquoise comforters, and we had a small television to keep us entertained. A cherry oak table and three rolling chairs sat in the corner of the room next to our large window, the blinds flowing around in sync with the cool breeze the air conditioning blasted out. In a tiny hallway type extension, an appropriately sized closet with a set of shelves on either side of it peaked out from the wall, a large, cinnamon scented bathroom facing it. But right in another corner of the room was... Another closet? What? All I could see was a shut door, and I decided we would just have to investigate more when we returned from lunch, and the opening camp ceremony. Something inside of me, something I couldn't quite figure out, was trying to tell me something. Trying to tell me that this summer at Camp Sunshine might just be better than the rest.