Love in a Hopeless Place

Hey Guys. So I recently went to D.C and saw a story at the Holocaust museum that inspired me to write this story. Remember , this story is based of the one I heard, so not everything is true and the pictures are random ones I found on the internet!

Ana's POV
Cold. Pain. Hunger. These are the only things I can feel right now. The sound of coughing is the only thing herd in the wretched barracks. Death seems to be all around me. The person next to me, who I depended on for body warmth, died. All I have is a rag like blanket. And my bowl for food. Bunchenwald  concentration camp. One of the many camps the nazis set up in their plan of the extermination of the Jews. My parents, Eva and Desmond Colligher, are Jewish, but we were never religious. I have three elder siblings, Karoline, Ezra, and Lara. I also have a little sister, Kora.

I was born in Munich, Germany, but we moved to the Netherlands a few months later for my fathers job

I was born in Munich, Germany, but we moved to the Netherlands a few months later for my fathers job. I loved living there. Swimming and playing at the beach's during the summer. Ice skating and sledding during the winter. Bike riding. Playing at the playground with Sophi, getting ice cream at Mrs.Kolen's Place with Gina and Ellie, and sleepovers with Isabella. Isabella is my best friend. She came from Italy to escape Mussolini, but then Hitler took over. Life changed forever when that happened. Laws were put in place that prevented Jews from doing the things we liked to do. We couldn't even go outside our house past 8:00! Then, in October 1941, our family was deported, to the Westerbork transit camp. When we arrived, we were put to work for the German war effort. Karoline, Lara, and I worked on the sewing. After a month in westerbork, we were deported in a cattle cart to the east. The conditions were awful. There was almost 80 people shoved into the train, with only one bucket to use the restroom in. It was freezing. Days later, we arrived at Auschwitz-Birkenau. My mom, Karoline, Lara, Kora and I were separated from my brother and father. Then we formed a line. The Nazi pointed to the right for mom, Karoline, Lara, and I, but pointed to the left for Kora. My mom did not want to leave her daughter, so she went to the other line. They were both killed in the gas chambers.

Meanwhile, me and my sisters were marched into a room where we were forced to take off our clothes and get our heads shaved, given a tattoo with our number in it, as well as given ragged dresses to wear. It was freezing. Every day, the Kapo would wake us up to inspect our bunks, in which almost 6 or 7 people would sleep in a bunk. If we didn't do it correctly we got beaten. Sometimes we would stand outside for hours for roll call. Those who died during the night were piled at the door. One day, Lara collapsed from standing so long, and the Nazi  shot her. I wanted to scream, but i didn't want to get shot myself. Three of our family members already dead. Karoline promised to protect me after Lara was killed. One day, there was a selection. Anyone who was ill or injured was sent to the gas chambers. I was sick with typhoid, but Karoline convinced the guards that I was healthy, and I was spared.
After almost a year and half in Auschwitz, Karoline and I were deported to Buchenwald. There are no gas chambers here, but death is still a common sight. Honestly, I think every concentration camp is a death camp, not just the ones like Auschwitz, Sobibór, Treblinka,etc...
Karoline wanted to continue protecting me, but she got very, very, very sick with typhus. One morning I woke up, only to discover her dead. I was all alone.