4~ Time

A/N: I am changing the timeline a bit here to fit with the story, but I'm only giving them an extra few hours. Everything else is the same - just warning you.

___________________________________

*Jodie's P.O.V*

When Fury was able to leave his bed, the six of us sat around a meeting table to plan our next move. We've all been informed of HYDRA's plan to assassinate millions of people using the three new Helicarriers, and now we're trying to find a way to stop them.

Fury was sitting at the head of the tale, with a large case in front of him, and he was holding up an old black and white photo of Pierce, the senior SHIELD official. He sighed quietly, and his eyes glazed over slightly. "This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," he said slowly, reminiscing. "He said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility." He placed the photo back on the table and leant forward slightly. "See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." His gaze flicked to me. "Now I know how you felt."

I huffed quietly, folding my arms loosely over my chest. "I still do," I retorted, my eyes flicking around the room a everyone. Fury, Natasha and Maria were sitting down; Steve, Sam and I were the only ones standing. I think better when I'm on my feet.

"We have to stop the launch," Natasha stated.

"I don;t think the Council's accepting my calls anymore," Fury said dryly. "If the stakes weren't so high, and she wasn't supposed to be dead, I would allow Jodie to talk some sense into them." I smirked, remembering all those months ago before New York, how I had offered for Fury to allow me to talk to the Council. Back then, I was a raging bomb waiting to go off, so that conversation would not have gone well.

It was then Fury flipped open the lid of the case sitting in front of him, revealing what looked like three computer chips inside. What were we gonna do with those?

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"Once the Helicarriers reach 3,000 feet," Maria spun around the laptop sitting in front of her so we could see the screen, "they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized."

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury continued.

"One or two won't cut it," Maria said. "We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

I sighed quietly, my fists clenching. This sounds like New York all over again, but maybe this time we can do something to stop it before the damage gets done on a world scale level. But like every fight , there are always consequences and there are always risks you have to take. No matter what you prepare for, someone is always going to die.

Fury nodded. "We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We have to get past them, insert these server blades. And maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left -"

"What?!" I exclaimed, at the same time Steve said, "We're not salvaging anything." We glanced briefly at each other before I looked away and Steve continued. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick. We're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with this," Fury argued.

"You gave me this mission. THis is how it ends," Steve argued back. "SHIELD's been compromised. You said it yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury snapped. "Her father noticed, which is why she's involved in this." He jabbed a finger in my direction as he spoke.