7~ Fight Back

*Jodie's P.O.V*

"Okay, when you asked me to get something for you, didn't expect you to mean you wanted me to steal your original suit from the war out of the museum."

He shrugged. "What did you think I meant?"

I was sot of at a loss for words, but managed to reply, "Definitely not that." I smiled. "But it's a good look."

He smiled in return, and then we listened as both Nick and Natasha went over the plan with us one more time through our intercoms. They worked like earpieces - they technically were - but of a different technology... something like that, I don't know. Me, Sam, Steve and Maria were driving to a spot within walking distance of the Triskelion - the big ugly building in Washington D.C. that is like SHIELD's headquarters. That way, no one will be expecting Captain America to break in and try to shut down their programme. Huh, what Pierce doesn't know is who is helping Steve, and he is gonna be in for a bit of a shock, I think.

"Okay, so you all know what to do?" Nick asked.

"Affirmative," came the reply from Maria, looking at us for confirmation as she answered for all of us. A whole lot easier than everyone voicing their opinions, and causes less confusion as to who said what.

"You ready for this, Jodie?"

I snorted at the question. "Nat, I've been near bursting with an energy overload for six months, waiting for an opportunity like this. Adrenaline pumping, dangerous and a bit insane... it's my kind of thing."

I heard her sigh. "You know what I mean."

I did indeed. If I came face to face with Pierce during this mision, I would be facing the man responsible for giving the order to have my parents killed and me taken into custody. I honestly don't know what my overall reaction will be if that happens, except maybe satisfaction to look him in the eye, and maybe give him a good old punch. Over the years, I may have been running from the cops and the gift I was born with, but a small part of me - now that I know the truth - feels like I was actually running from Pierce more than anyone else.

Instead I nearly walked right into their hands when SHIELD picked me up.

I noticed the other three were watching me and gave myself a mental shake. "As long as you remind me not to beat him to a pulp, I think I'll be okay."

"Just don't go blowing anything up," Nick warned, and I stiffened.

THe atmosphere in the cat suddenly went very awkward, and I bit my lip while shifting my gaze to the floor. I could feel the others watching me but I didn't meet their eyes. I knew the truth would eventually have to come out, I just didn't expect it to happen before one of the most insane and dangerous missions of our lives - at least in this age.

"Jodie?"

I chuckled nervously. "Yeah, about that..."

"Jodie, what aren't you telling us?"

Just by Nick's tone of voice, I felt like a kid being scolded by her parents. I guess that is just how intimidating he can be sometimes, even though he doesn't scare me. "You remember what appened in New York?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah..."

"Well... it turns out I may or may not have blown out so much energy that I..." I took a deep breath and spat it out before i got tongue-tied. "I lost my powers."

There was silence - both in the car and on the other end of the intercoms. Everyone in the car was still staring at me, and it was a good thing Maria was able to watch me in the rear view mirror, rather than turning around. It was also a good thing she didn't stare for longer than a minute before facing the road again, clearly not interested in my reasonings for keeping something like this a secret when she has secrets of her own.