11~ Fresh Starts & New Adventures

*Jodie's P.O.V*

Three days we've been here, but slowly we can see that Steve is recovering - even if he's been unconscious the whole time. It has been all over the news about the Triskelion and the release of all the world's national security secrets being leaked online. I believe Natasha is going to face a Senate subcommittee to cover up for all that's happened. I offered to go, either alone or with her, but when she brought up that I was supposed to be dead - that secret now having also been released - it would be best if I didn't. And right now, I can see that she's right.

I was dozing, my head resting in my hand as I used the mini table by the window as a perch, and Sam was sitting reading a book on Steve's right side. I could faintly hear a particular song in the background but I don't know the name if it. However, Sam mentioned earlier it was of significance to when he and Steve met, so i ignored it and tried to catch up on sleep.

I seriously thought I was imagining it when I heard someone say. "On your left," and both Sam and I turned to look at Steve, whose eyes just fluttered shut again, but a small smile was in place. I saw Sam smile and I couldn't help but do the same, especially when Steve reopened his eyes and I reached for his hand. He squeezed my fingers gently and I suddenly felt right there and then that everything was going to be okay.

Of course, things will never be that simple, but one can dream, right?

"You look terrible," Steve muttered, dragging me from my thoughts.

I could just imagine; hair messed up, clothes creased from the constant sitting around, black circles around my eyes... "Speak for yourself," I whispered, catching Sam's eye roll at our banter. Clearly he'll never get used to this.

_______________________

A few days later, everything was different. Now that SHIELD has fallen apart, and HYDRA with it, everyone went their separate ways in search of a new life. I know that Maria is currently booking a job interview with Stark Industries, so that will be interesting; last I remember, Tony Stark drove nearly everyone around him insane, especially Maria Hill. Also, anyone who was discretely or directly involved with HYDRA (or some other bad programme) was arrested and taken into custody by the FBI - and I'm glad we're not on that list. I know Nick is planning on traveling - to where, I'm not sure - but I feel it might not be long before we see him again. The thing about Nick Fury, is that once he's under your skin he is pretty damn hard to remove. And despite his attitude from time to time, he is a good person to have around.

And the rest of us? Well, that's a different tale...

*Third Person P.O.V*

Natasha was currently in the middle of a Senate subcommittee meeting, just like she'd told Jodie. She'd sworn to tell the truth (and nothing but), and was at first mildly overwhelmed by the number of flashy middle aged men in suits, who were trying to appear both powerful and intimidating, not to mention the dozens of cameras for the media, but she kept that well hidden and summoned up her courage, and got to work.

"Why haven't we yet heard from Captain Rogers?" Was one of the first questions she received, and it took her a moment to think on it - as well as try not to sigh at their clear ignorance at the big picture going on.

"I don't know what there is left for him to say," she told them. "I think the wreck in the middle of the Potomac made his point fairly eloquently."

"Well, he could explain how this country's expected to maintain its national security now that he and you have laid waste to our intelligence apparatus."

Now that irked Natasha. "HYDRA was feeding you lies, not intelligence."

"Many of which you seemed to have had a personal hand in telling," the committee member snapped.