Chapter 3: Maeve is Missing

**** PLEASE VOTE on each chapter if you like it!! Also leave me a comment and tell me what you think! I'd love to hear what you have to say, even if it's suggestions on what I could do better next time. :) Enjoy!****

Chapter 3

It hadn't been long before her mother noticed she was missing. When Maeve didn't return, Bretta whispered the news to Fionn. Gritting her teeth, she assumed that Maeve had hidden herself because she didn't want to be married. “Stubborn girl,” she fumed. She directed Bretta to gather a few of the servants and to scour the area for her. Fionn went to search inside.

An hour later the searchers met in the great hall, empty since the rest of the people were enjoying the aenach outside in the chilly October air, warmed by the massive bonfires. Fionn was getting very angry, but at the back if her mind a twinge of worry was starting to form. She had a servant get Tiernan, and she explained that their daughter was nowhere to be found.

“Did you search the house and the grounds” You know how she likes to read in the hayloft when she gets upset,” her father said gruffly, annoyed that his marriage talks had been interrupted.

“Of course we did, we've looked everywhere. But we can't do much else without alarming our guests!”

Tiernan sighed in exasperation. “I'll send you some of my men to help you look for her. I'm sure we'll find her hiding somewhere.

But they didn't find her. Eventually the news got around to the people celebrating at the aenoch, and rumours started flying. Tiernan eventually enlisted everyone's help; but to no avail. They found the abandoned cart, but had no reason to think it was suspicious.

They didn't see the scrap of blue ribbon that Maeve had managed to leave on the ground next to the cart.

They searched all night and well into the next morning, but they found nothing except for a few hoofprints leading towards the coastal road. There was no proof, but slowly the possibility of a kidnapping was sinking in to Tiernan. He sat heavily in his seat at the head table, surrounded by worried guests, family and servants.

“We still haven't found her, as you know. We've searched everywhere, and all we found were some footprints leading up the coastal road.” He paused, dreading what he knew he must say.

“I think she may have been taken.”