Six - Interviews

Savannah's POV

Christmas is only weeks away and my dad will be going to Singapore for treatment tomorrow. Aunt Tanya and her husband will cover all of dad's medical expenses and everything else in between. We are so grateful for her, but at the same time we didn't want to be separated from our dad. Yes, he is very ill, and we can't be selfish, but it'll be the first time for Cecilia and I being separated from him. We helped dad pack his clothes, and his things only took up one big duffel bag. He didn't need a lot of clothes because he'll be spending most of his time on the hospital bed.

Tonight is the last night he'll be with us so I thought we should throw him a little party. I bought a cake at Henry's mother's bake shop since I couldn't afford a big, fancy cake from an upscale bakery for dad.

"Honey, you didn't have to buy this, you know that right?" my dad said as I opened the box that contained the single sheet chocolate cake with a simple chocolate frosting on top. Henry's mother frosted "Have a Safe Trip" on the cake with white frosting.

"Dad, we may not see you for a while. Just let me do this for you, okay? You don't have to worry about us. We'll be okay," I assured him with a smile. "Plus, I'm going to be working with Hemmings Inc. soon. It's a big corporate business and I landed an interview. Though, I'm not really sure what I'm going to be interviewed for. The job description on the newspaper was really vague..." Now that I think about it, Hemmings... wasn't that Robert's new last name? I didn't think much about it, since many people had Hemmings as their last name.

Cecilia, my father and I ate in silence, and Cecilia started sobbing, covering her face with her hands. I've never seen her cry, ever. Even when mom left, she has never cried like this. 

"Dad, promise us you'll be a strong fighter and never give up okay?" she managed to cough out.

My father stood up and hugged Cecilia. "I'll never give up, sweetheart. I'll fight for the both of you," his voice cracked. Tears are starting to come out of my own eyes and I joined in their embrace. We stayed there for a while until my father broke our hug and sat down. His health is getting worse each day, and knowing we can't do anything about it is heartbreaking.

"Promise your old man, that when I get better, and I will," he winked. "I'll come home to my daughters and their husbands." I was about to interrupt him, but he stopped me by putting his hand up.

"No, listen to me. Your old man does not want to leave this world without seeing his grand kids first. That is my only wish," my father said to the both of us. We nodded, but knew that what he was wishing for is impossible. For a long time, we have secluded ourselves from the rest of the world, so we could take care of him. But socializing is new to us. How can I find a husband if I can't even make new friends?

The next morning, Aunt Tanya pulled up outside of the bar with her silver Lexus and helped dad carry his luggage up the stairs. "It's been a while, brother," she remarked.

"That it has," he replied with remorse. He left his family, including Aunt Tanya, when they disapproved of his marriage to my mother.

We hugged dad for the last time and waved goodbye as Aunt Tanya drove to the airport, leaving us and our home behind until he gets better. "There's something I haven't told you," Cecilia confessed as soon as the car cannot be seen any longer.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"You know how dad told us he wants us to get out there, and find a husband? Well, I have a boyfriend," she quickly said like she had planned out the same exact words she wanted to say to me. She mouthed "sorry" to me as I stare at her, not giving anything away. I don't know what I should feel. Envy? No, that can't be it. Overprotective? Yes, definitely. Cecilia still acts like a little kid. Her teenage years have been taken away from her because she had to stay home to keep a watch on dad. So she couldn't go to her own graduation or her senior trip. We can't afford a new sofa, let alone a $2,000 senior trip to Hawaii.