Seven - Dinner

Playlist for this chapter:

Small Bump - Ed Sheeran

Crush - David Archuleta

Slippin' Away - Aziatix

Inconsolable - Backstreet Boys

-

Savannah's POV

I finally reached home after the "interview." After locking my bicycle on a nearby pole and hindering encounters with intoxicated men who likes drinking during daytime, I can finally relax at home. Lord knows I need time to reflect all that has happened the past few hours.

"I'm back!" I announced as I opened the basement door. As I walked in, I see Cecilia canoodling with her boyfriend, the bar tender.

He stood up as soon as he saw me walk in the door, probably feeling guilty that I found him here cuddling with my sister instead of working his second shift.

"Oh, hello! You must be Savannah. Cecilia has told me a lot of things about you," he said sweetly.

"I'm sure she has," I replied, keeping a close watch on Cecilia. She was fidgeting on the sofa, looking as guilty as ever.

"Erm, well my name's Davis," he mentioned. "And I guess by your silence, Cecilia hasn't told you I'll be coming by today..."

After several awkward beats, the bar tender excused himself out, leaving the two of us alone.

"I got the job, thanks for asking," I murmured once I heard the door closed.

"That's great, Sav."

"But that means I will be traveling. A lot. And I'll be living in the U.S," I told her. "I'll send money every month or anytime you need some cash. The bank account is all set up, and here's the debit and credit card." I handed her the blue and white cards.

Cecilia took the cards in hesitation and put them inside her black leather wallet. She closed her eyes and rubbed her cheeks. Then, she said, "I finally understand the saying, that you don't know what you have until it's gone. First, it was dad. Then you."

I bit my bottom lip, a bad habit I had since I was little. It only happens ever so often, only when I'm nervous or uncomfortable. But we needed the money. Mother did not leave us with anything, except misery and frustration. And we can't forget about the tight clothes in her closet only I can fit. Cecilia is shorter and curvier than I am.

"I'll come back for the holidays. No worries," I offered. She just shook her head in response and mopes to her room.

-

"Here is an iPhone. I know you can't afford one right now, so the company is giving this to you for free. It is essential you carry this everywhere. There is a planner app installed in here for your own discretion," Mr. Hemmings explained. I took the white and gold iPhone and examined it. How do I turn it on?

"The power button is on the top right of the phone," Luke noted, as if he could read my mind.

"Yeah, I knew that," I assured him. Damn, I need to really learn how to use this thing.

"I know it has been years since you two have had a normal conversation," Mr. Hemmings began. "There is a restaurant called Quay that is overlooking the cove of Sydney. I made reservations for you two later at 8. Everything is paid for, wine, food, etc. Have fun." He then left the room to go to an important executive meeting, leaving Luke and I alone in his office.

Luke was sitting by the black sofa near the door while I was still standing near Mr. Hemmings' coffee table. He was observing me, from head to toe, and I'm feeling very self concious. I finally spoke up. "Why are you looking at me like that?" I alleged.