Chapter 13

He stayed away from her. He told himself that it was for the best and he stayed away from her. When she accompanied her sister to services he preached the word and avoided her when it was over by closing himself off in his small office until she left. She had not tried to call him and he told himself that he was grateful for that, at least that was what he told himself! It was the end of September before he heard from her again.

He was in the middle of organizing the fundraising for the men's department in order for them to set up a running fund for the elderly men in their congregation who had no one but them to call family. He had decided on that along with several members of the congregation when he noticed that an old veteran was suffering from hunger and a debilitating disease that was eating away at him. They had organized a round the clock care for him and to ensure that he was getting proper meals every day. he threw himself into the new project so that he could take his mind off her.

He fished the phone out of his pocket and stiffened when he saw her name on the screen. "Excuse me, I have to take this." he hurried away and went into his office. "Chandra," his tone was formal as he made an effort to appear casual.

"I know you don't want me calling but I am afraid we have a situation."
"What situation?"

"I am pregnant."

The silence that followed her short statement stretched out for so long that Chandra had to end it. "Look I know you told me that-"
"You are carrying my child?" his voice was a whisper and sounded hoarse with emotion.

"Yes. Gary i know you want to stay away from me-"
"I am coming over!"

                                                     ************************************

Chandra sat out on the porch and waited for him to come to her. She had felt the symptoms a week or so ago and had ignored them thinking that it was stress. She had decided to leave him alone after that evening at the abandoned barn. She had decided that she needed to give him some space, some time to deal with whatever they were both going through. She had decided that he was right and that she needed time to deal with the abuse she had experienced from Luigi. But last week she had been nauseous as soon as she had eaten her sister's delicious chicken and she had not had her periods for more than a month. She had made sure Luigi used protection when they had been together but somehow with Gary she never felt the need to do so. she always wanted to feel his skin on hers, nothing between them! It was Friday evening and Caroline had gone out with friends. She had invited Chandra to come along but she had cried off. She got to her feet as soon as his vehicle drove up and stood on the edge of the porch watching as he pushed the gate and walked towards her. He was wearing a simple plaid shirt and faded denims and his hair was mussed by the wind. And she loved him so much that it was starting to hurt! he stood at the bottom of the steps and looked up at her. She had showered and was wearing a long dress that almost reached her ankles and had on a light sweater. her curls were pinned up untidily on top of her head and her whiskey colored eyes caught the lights from the last rays of the sun. 

"Are you sure?" his deep voice vibrated quietly.

"As sure as not having my periods and not been able to keep anything down sure," she did not approach him and he stood where he was.

"What are you going to do?"

"You mean am I going to keep the child we made?" her tapered eyebrows rose as she smiled a little. "Even if he or she was not conceived in love Gary, I could never abort my child, if that was what you were implying."

His blue eyes searched her face, his expression unreadable. "I am a minister-"

"I get it. The scandal and all that. What are you going to do?"

He came up the steps finally and stood directly in front of her. "I have no idea. I don't want to trap you into staying here-"

"I did not have to tell you that you got me pregnant Gary."
"Why did you?"

She sighed theatrically. "Why all these questions?"

"Because you are Chandra Moore, the most beautiful woman in the world-"
"I am sure you are exaggerating-"

he reached out finally and gripped her arms tightly, his blue eyes blazing! "You went away when I told you that I love you and wanted to marry you!"

"And I have learnt from that." she reached between them and framed his face with her hands. "I am a different person now and wants to marry you and have your kid."
"You are just saying that-"
"Do you know what century we are living in?" she demanded. "I have money enough to take care of this child on my own. I can go away and live anywhere I want to live with my child. I am saying that I want the whole package. I want you as a husband and I want us to grow this child together. I am saying that I love you Gary."

"I can-t" he groaned and pulled her into his arms, his mouth bruising hers in a kiss that had her curling into him, her body trembling with need! he lifted her and too her inside, kicking the door shut with his foot. he strode over to the faded sofa and sat there with her in his arms, his mouth still on hers as he practically devoured her mouth with his! he finally surfaced and looked down at her in his arms. Her lips were swollen and her whiskey colored eyes were slumberous. Her hair was messy around her face and she looked like an ad for sex and incredible sexy!

"You are pregnant?" his voice was thick as he whispered.

"With our baby." she murmured. "I know we need to talk and all that but could you make love to me before?" her hands reached to touch his hair roughened jaw.

"Chandra-"

"Please Gary. I tried to stay away and give you space but I cannot stop thinking about us. We are going to work. I need this."

With a tortured groan he got to his feet with her in his arms and strode to the bedroom!