Chapter 7

Camila's vision slowly came back as she opened her eyes, trying to reach up and grab her pounding head. A frown grows on her lips as all that happens is chains making a clicking sound.

"Don't try to move, they've got us chained up." Harry's familiar voice fills the room.

"Who does?" Camila asked, narrowing her eyes and trying to find him in the dark room.

The Brit clears his throat. "The Iraqi soldiers."

"Shit!" Camila breathed.

"Tell me about it." Hayley mumbles in frustration, trying to break out of her chains.

"Kiyoko, stop before you injure yourself." Malik calls out.

"The chains are already hurting me." Hayley responded, pulling on the chains again.

Rolling her eyes, Camila regrets it as soon as more pain shoots through her head. "Everyone just remain calm."

"Calm! How can we stay calm at a time like this?! Hmm? Tell me Camila?!" Sofia Carson asked. She was a new soldier to the group, having only qualified a month ago. This was her first mission and she was freaking out.

"We are trained for situations like this Carson, now calm down or they will know we have woken up." Camila tells her calmly.

"Training was nothing like this!" Carson snapped, pulling against the chains.

Everyone went quiet when the doors to the dark room opened and several Iraqi soldiers walked in.

****

Three months later

"When's my mama coming home?" Valerie asks Lauren with a frown.

"I don't know." Lauren said honestly.

Tears fill the four year old's eyes and she fights back a sob. "I want mama."

A knock on the door catches everyone's attention and Dinah stands up to make her way to the door. Her eyes widen upon seeing two men in black suits and two soldiers by a large black SUV.

"Uh, Laur!" she calls out quickly.

Lauren's heart stopped in her chest. She swallowed and put her laptop down before making her way to the door.

"Are you Miss Jauregui?" one of the men in a black suit asks gently.

"Um... who wants to know?" Lauren asked defensively.

"My names Channing and this is my partner Nick, we work with the military on informing families of death or missing persons." The taller of the two says softly.

Lauren stared at them blankly. The feeling of deja vu hit her like a ton of bricks.

Clearing his throat, Nick steps forward. "Lieutenant Cabello and her men are missing, they have been for three months. Other soldiers were deployed to find them and so far have found nothing. As of today they are being presumed dead."

Lauren's heart sank in her chest. She felt light headed.

The two soldiers by the car walk forward and hold a folded up flag to her.

Lauren shook her head. "You're lying." She took a step back.

"I'm sorry for your loss." the soldier says softly.

Lauren looked at Dinah for a brief moment before shaking her head.

Taking a deep breath, Dinah pulls Lauren close and takes the flag.

Lauren wriggled out of Dinah's arms. "It's not true." She pushed past the two soldiers and ran off. She needed to be alone to think for a while.

Closing her eyes, Dinah takes a deep breath and forces a smile. "Thank you for letting us know."