Bookstores and Bewilderment

A/N: Hey guys! I know this is LONG overdue, but here it is! Hope you enjoy. Comments and votes are welcomed (as always!). 

Love+Lemonade,

Scotti

___________________________________

Chapter 3: Bookstores and Bewilderment

*✐*✐*✐*

     The vintage bell on BookScoop's front door jangles as I flounce inside. The aroma of caramel lattes and new books greet me. I almost float over to the counter and plant myself on one of the red counter chairs. I spin around once and then face Johnny. 

    "What'll it be today?" Johnny asks, smiling as he wipes off a glass with a towel. I grin at him.

    "The usual!" I chirp, and he shoots a warm vanilla cream, topped with caramel drizzles and chocolate chunks, towards me. I grab the mug greedily and savor the sweet cream.

    "Anything new?" I ponder to Johnny, glancing around the bookstore. Johnny scratches the stubble on his chin and thinks. His face lights up, and he walks around the bar area and brings me to the teen fiction section. 

    "You'll love this! It seems very...you." Johnny winks. I laugh and finger the book. A small pinch in my gut is telling me this isn't good.

    "The Years of Our Lives?" I say aloud. Johnny nods vigirously. I open to the first page and begin to read.

  It all started in the seventh grade. Me, alone, probably as usual, and the empty lunch table to myself. 

    All I can manage is a small, strangled, whimper. Johnny looks at me weirdly. 

    "What's wrong?" He says, placing a steady hand on my shoulder to keep me from, what it seems like, fainting. 

    "The...the...book. I wr-wrote it!" I moan. Johnny chuckles.

    "Oh, Becca, always the joker. Look here," he points to the author's name, "It says 'T.I. Fictus'." 

    I feel the hot tears brimming inside me. The vanilla cream in my mouth suddenly tastes bitter and lifeless. My book! How could someone steal it? Nobody knew about it except for my friends! 

    I tell Johnny I'll be right back and head to the women's restroom. I lean against a stall door, whip out my Blackberry, and dial Julie.

    "Hey this is Julie," I hear her voice but realize I only got voicemail, "Sorry, I can't pick up the phone right now. Just leave me a message, and I'll try and call you back as soon as I can. Thanks!" And I'm left with the autotone beep.

    "Hi, Julie. This is really urgent," I hold back the choked sobs, "I need you to call me right away. Something went seriously wrong." 

*✐*✐*✐*

    "What do you mean it's published?" I'm on the phone with Julie, ranting and raging about my problem. 

    "Exactly how it sounds!" I shriek. I swipe angrily at the tears that are falling like a waterfall. Shrugging on a hand-knit scarf, I snuggle deeper into my L.L. Bean coat. I charge down Evergreen Street, the icy wind nipping at my tear stained face. The dry tears sting against the wind, but it feels calming in a way. 

    "How could anyone have gotten ahold of it? Wasn't it in your journal?" Julie adds. 

    "Yes! It was in my locker..." I groan and sit down on the nearest bench. I squeeze my temples, trying to get rid of the pounding headache that's moving in on me. 

    "Someone broke in. But who could it be? Nobody has it out that much for you except for-"

    "Addelyn." A lone tear rolls down my cheek and I feel like the weight of the world has been dropped onto my shoulders. 

    "You don't know that or not. It may not have been her!" Julie argues. Ever since the seventh grade, when I started my novel, Addelyn has hated my guts. 

    It was during Break. I was sitting by myself on one of the picnic tables that were placed by the woods behind Bakersfield Junior Academy. I was secretly crying because Addelyn and her friends (even back then they were devils in Vera Wang high-heeled boots) had spread a rumor that I was only at the Academy on a scholarship and that my parents couldn't pay for such a expensive school. That filthy lie was untrue. Sure, the part about the scholarship was true, but my parents had more than enough money to pay for the Academy. Of course, everyone at the time believed Addelyn. Even my friends thought I was lying to them! That's when Trudy came in. Trudy, at that point in time, was Addelyn's second in command. Popular, pretty, and very likeable. I never really disliked Trudy as a person. I just disliked the fact that anyone was that low to rag on other people. 

    But anyways, I was sitting alone on the bench and Trudy came sauntering over. I thought she was just going to laugh at me some more or take a picture of me crying for blackmail, but instead, she sat down. She wrapped and arm around my shoulders and said everything was going to be OK and that everyone knows Addelyn was lying. At first, I thought it was a trap. But I came to believe her when she was telling me she was sick and tired of Addelyn's snobby behavior. We had instantly bonded and become the best of friends. Until, it was Addelyn's turn to come sashaying over. 

    "What do you think you're doing?" She'd said, not directing it at any certain person. 

    "I'm done with you," Trudy told her nonchalantly. After their arguing for over five minutes, Addelyn held up a manicured finger.

    "Well, if she's done with me, too bad. But you," she'd pointed her finger at me, "are about as much of a friend as dirt. But you're better than nothing, I guess." And she gave me a pointed look and smiled deviously. That's when I'd learn to stand up to her once and for all.

    "Oh, please. You only made her be your friend so you could have someone to hold your purse in one hand and stroke your ego with another," I'd shot bad. That was the day Addelyn figured I was a true competitor in her games. And I was one to beat.