23| You're Next

Alyssa

Every year since 2010 Duncan has done this fundraiser called Keith Relief. He throws a concert and had some of the Blackhawks players serve beer to the fans who paid to come. The fans pay to get in and for the beer and the concert. Then all the proceeds goes to a hospital to help families who need to pay for medical bills. Whatever they need to make things easier on them.

And this year it was expected to be as big as ever. With hockey finally being back in Chicago and the fans coming out to see them, there was supposed to be a lot of people coming out and for a great cause.

I promised to help Duncan out as much as I can. So I team up with Abby and Dayna and do the behind the scenes stuff like helping the guys get to where we need and refilling kegs as they serve the fans. Hold them down as they gave the fans what they wanted off the ice for once.

"So, how has life been treating you guys" I ask as we chill in the back as we wait for something to happen. There was a couch where we all fit so naturally that's where we reside.

"Well I'm pregnant again" Abby says and I stop messing with my hair. My mouth drops open as she smiles up at me.

"No way" I squeal.

"Yes way. I'm due in October" she announced and I smile.

"Oh I'm so excited for you" I insist.

"Thank god you said that" Dayna sighs. "Because I'm pregnant too" she announces and my eyes go big.

"What the hell guys" I ask.

"But I'm due in August" she says and I shake my head.

"How does this happen? I know you're close but not this close. You're both having kids his year, that's pretty crazy" I say.

"I guess so" Dayna laughs.

"You're next" Abby teases and I nearly choke.

"I don't think so" I defend.

"Oh come on. You make a great mother" she argues.

"Michael and I do not need to have a kid" I insist.

"I didn't mean you and Michael..." she trails off.

"Really. Are we going to do this right now" I sigh.

"We just want you to be happy" Dayna insists.

"I am happy" I defend.

"Are you really happy or are you acting happy" she questions.

"Ugh. All I am is in I need of a beer" I say getting up. "You guys want one" I joke and they laugh at me.

"I would like a sweet tea" Dayna says.

"I want a water" Abby adds on.

"Gotcha" I assure them before disappearing.

I go out to the front and sit at the bar. Duncan was behind it getting ready to open the doors. This was like his kid and he always got all fidgety when he gets here. He wants it all to go well and it always does.

"A beer, a sweet tea and a water" I call out making him jump. He turns around and sees it was me before smiling.

"Anything for you" he yells back and I roll my eyes. He gives me my drinks before leaning against the bar.

"So I just heard some interesting news" I admit.

"You just heard that Dayna and Abby are pregnant too" he asks and I laugh.

"Yeah. Did Sharpy and Seabs tell you that" I ask. 

"Yeah. Then they said you and I were next" he tells me.

"So you left them" I ask.

"That's why in here" he admits.

"Can I tell you a secret" I ask and he nods. "That's why I'm out here too" I admit and he smiles at me.

"We always seem to find ourselves in these types of situations, don't we" he asks as I laugh along with him.

"The universe works in mysterious ways" I admit.

"It really does" he agrees.

I head back to drop off the drinks before going out to monitor the bar. Things get underway and soon enough the bar was packed shoulder to shoulder. I'm pretty sure this was against the fire code but I wasn't about to say anything.

Eventually Duncan makes his way into the stage. The crowd cheers as he picks up the microphone. He waves around and waits for them to quiet down a little so they can hear him.

He introduces himself and explains how this is going to work. He would have the bands up there and some of the guys will join them to sing a song. It was a lot of music and a lot of drinking along with it. So basically the perfect recipe for a really good time.

After the music gets started Duncan comes into the crowd and stands next to me. I bob my head along to the music and enjoy it. Michael doesn't really like this type of music, you know, the fun type. So this was a nice change of pace.

"Do you want to dance" Duncan asks and I turn to him.

"That doesn't seem like a good idea" I admit.

"Come on. Friends dance with friends. That's what prom is for" he reminds me.

"Still..." I trail off.

"If you dance with me I'll let you go up and sing a song" he bargains and I smile.

"It's been a while since I caused a public scene" I admit.

"Is that a yes" he asks as he puts his hand out. I cautiously put my hand in his before he pulls me off to the dance floor.

He starts to dance terribly in front of me and I laugh as he moves weirdly. I forgot how bad he was at this. Thanks god he was a good hockey player. I dance along side of him and watch as he makes a complete fool of himself. For a second I feel like we were back in the mid 2000's where we didn't have a care in the world. Before he was a Stanley cup champion and before I lost my innocence. I missed those times more than anything, and even though it's only for a few moments, I was happy to back in those simpler times.

"Alright dancing queen. You earned yourself a song" Duncan claims and I smile big.

He helps me up to the front and yells something to the security guard. They help me up to the stage from the front and I hop on up here. I move to the microphone on the stand and grab it. I turn back to the front and kind of laugh at myself. I was a songwriter, not a singer. But I still loved karaoke and performing so I was no stranger to the stage.

I sing Love Shack because that is the best karaoke song and the band knew that song. I look down halfway through the songs and see Duncan smiling up at me. I smile big as he sings along, still dancing like a kid with a full diaper. I hope that aspect of him never changes.

Once I finish the song I get off the stage. I jump off like a mini stage dive and Duncan easily catches me.

"Oh my god that was so much fun" I admit as I rest in his arms.

"You were incredible up there" he claims and I start to blush.

"I don't know about all of that" I insist.

"I do" he smiles.