Part 4

~Timeskip to the masquerade~

«also authors note. It's four in the morning, may not be the best part of the story»

        It was the night of the ball, you were in your room being dressed. Yes, being dressed, this is strange for everyone, even you who (if you were normal) should be accustomed to it. "Jasmine. I can feel the air....being...squeezed...out...of...my lungs." You managed to get the words out between breaths.  And indeed you could feel every last ounce or air being forced out of your lungs as the corset was tightened more and more.

You felt a hand pat your shoulder a few times followed by what you used to consider a kind voice

        "Toughen up dear. You've got a life time left of corsets, you're lucky you only have to wear them on special occasions for now." You looked back at her with fire in your eyes

        "When I'm queen I'll do away with these blasted things."

        "Whatever you say dear." She breathed ever so slightly as she made the last painstaking pull.

~Time skip to when you're fully clothed~

        "Do I really have to go to this ridiculous ball." You uttered completely annoyed to your oh so cruel lady in waiting.

         "I'm afraid so. You see, it's a part of being a princess. I wish I could dress up like this everyday like you get to. I would...."

         Blah blah blah. Perfect. She's on one of her rants. This gave you the opportunity to slip to the servants stairwell to sneak into the party. Unannounced. If you were going to be forced to attend something so ungodly, you would do so on your terms.

         You made your way carefully to the servant entrance of the ballroom, smoothed down your (f/c) dress, and made sure your mask was sercurely in place. Only so you could be sure your identity would safe, certainly not because you were intrigued by the ball and wanted to look good. With that, you slipped ever so gracefully through the door and took in your surroundings.

        The walls were drapped with a deep satin (f/c), beautiful large off white stone vases placed strategically around the room filled with various colored (fav flower), tables filled with your favorite foods surrounded the room, and people dressed as all sorts of elegant creatures filled the room with life and, oddly, beauty. Most importantly you noticed that your father's crest held the place it once used to centered between the two thrones. You were happy, overjoyed even, to see that the current kings crest had been removed. Though it was custom to replace the crest with that of the current king's, you were glad to have your father's back, even if only temporarily. Even you had to admit, this is quite amazing. Why though, why all of your favorites. Not once before this evening had they even considered your tastes. You sigh dreading the reason why they actually bothered to consider you, for now though, you'll enjoy the night.

         The band had just begun to play obnoxious classical music, the same boring drone as all the other balls. Most held away from the center of the room, but a few couples braved the first dance of the evening.

        "Ahem. May I have this dance." A hand appears just in your line of sight. You were about to reply with a snarky yet enduring comment, perhaps something along the lines of 'shove off,' when you turned to see who it was. You held back a gasp, it was him. Even dressed in this attire ( Black suit with a green tie topped off with what appears to be a fox mask) you could tell by the way he held himself, as well as his gorgeous hair, that it was him. "M'lady?"

         "What?" You snapped out of your daze, "Oh! Yes, my apologies. You may." You curtsyed slightly and took his hand, he led you towards the center of the room and you two began dancing.

         "So what brings a beauty like you to this event." He started talking to you. His eyes, you noted, were a captivating emerald green. After a moments hesitation you answered, "Royal affairs. Friend of the queens." Not entirely a lie, plus you wanted to tease him a bit. "How about you."

        "Only to seduce lovely women such as yourself." You let out a snort.

        "Lies. I know you're here for something else. A man of your..." you glance at him up and down, "stature doesn't come to simply flirt." He smiles ever so slightly.

         "Straight to the point are we? Couldn't even humor me a little?"

        "Fat chance Blondie." He tensed up at that. Oops. Then gave his head a little shake. Probably should leave out insults from previous engagements for now.

         "Fiesty." He spun you around. "I like it." There was silence for a few seconds as you held each other's gaze. You interrupted the unwelcome search with

         "A fox. They're certainly clever. Cunning. Enjoy mischief."

        "It suits me quite well. Something you should find out tonight."

         "I hope that's not an attempt to 'seduce' me sir."

        "Of course not. We would already be in one of these castles rooms if that were the case." He winked at me and I scoffed. "Say. Can I trust you."

         "Normally I'd question why you'd place your trust in a complete stranger. But you've intrigued me, so yes. You can trust me." It wasn't his sad excuse for a pickup line that captivated you. It was the fact that you knew he was a pirate. One that had dressed up, charading as a Nobel. And that was worth exploring. He grinned widely and leaned to your

ear.

         "I, dear lady, am here to kidnap the princess." As he pulled back the song ended. Clapping ensued and couples separated to bow to eachother. He backed away and you stood there. He bowed and glanced up from that postion with a slight smirk.