18: Glitch

My mind was fracturing. I could feel motions through my body that I didn't mean to do. My entire world shifted and tensed, focused and blurred. It felt like every limb were being pulled in every direction. Ethan was still close to me, and I fought against the urge to pull out the stolen knife and attack him. A cackle started to bubble up from within me, but it was silenced as Ethan pinned my arms to my side, hand over my mouth. Had that been his choice? Was there more?

Suddenly we were moving, the world breaking and giggling and soaring by. My knife dug into something - someone? - and there were voices. So many voices. A slam that rang in my ears.

"Son of a bitch!"

I was falling, but my body seemed to correct itself all on its own. I could feel the world tearing into me, parts of my body cut into pieces that went around, space between its place and me.

"W̶h͟a̴t's t͜h̢e ͜matter?̡"

Was that my voice? I could feel my vocal cord rumbling, several inches in front of me. The green haze cleared for a moment. Ethan stood on guard, lost and confused. Seán pressed his good hand into his brace, glaring.

"Let her go," he growled.

My neck snapped, every broken bone crying out. But I still functioned, my head tilted too far to the side as it stared at the two.

"N̴o͜'

I braced myself, trying to find some sort of balance in the pain. Voices started to fade. The green haze returned.

"Ani!"

Ethan's voice snapped me out of the fog, though my body still wasn't mine. I gripped the sense of cohesion.

"Anti, yer fight's with me."

I pranced back a few paces as Seán got closer, looming over us. I tried to focus on his eyes.

My own hand held the knife to my throat.

"NO!"

Ethan barreled into me. All four hands were on the knife, struggling to take it. I could hear Seán cursing in the background. My foot connected to Ethan's stomach. He stumbled away, taking the knife with him. Anti hissed with my throat.

The pain, the breaking body, was disappearing.

I struggled against it as it struggled with Ethan, we had the knife back in short order. It wanted the throat, I wanted the knife gone. Seán rammed the table. My body stumbled back. The knife sank deep into my leg. We looked up.

I felt Anti's sharp toothed grin take over my face, the green haze encasing me for just one split second before it all fell away.

Right in time to see Seán's hand encase me in a fist.