Chapter 7 - Friend or Foe?

Elven High Lord Egrinlast sat majestically astride the powerful pure white warhorse, his intricately crafted chain mail shining like molten silver in the low evening sun. The elaborately decorated helmet, which covered most of his face, wore a near foot tall white crest of Wyvern feathers that swayed silently with the rise and fall of his charger. Ice Dragon hide made up much of the remaining armour; the large, cystaline translucent scales shimmered in the light and seemed way too thin to offer any protection whatsoever.

Hanging by his side was Angergast, the long, curved, mythical blade of the Elven Elders. Reputedly forged at the beginning of time and charged with ancient high magic's of unimaginable power, it softly hummed to itself with an almost melancholy note.

At each side of the King rode his most trusted warriors, mirroring his appearance. Purple cloaks, trimmed with stole, flowing from their shoulders indicating their rank and importance as his Imperial Guard. Each held a banner, one for the Elven nation of a silver tree on black, the other of House Egrinlast, a white horse on a purple velvet.

Behind the Egrinlast rode 200 horsemen. Highly trained, well disciplined warriors with stern eyes that stared out from below their silver visors, all willing to lay down their life for the King. They rode four abreast in a tight formation, almost touching their fellow rider. The noise from the horses' hooves and clashing armour was deafening. Following were over 400 foot soldiers, some pikemen but most were archers; all marching in unison, upright, forbearing and proud. It all looked very impressive.

The problem was, all Egrinlast could think about was the blister on his right bum cheek. The pain was incredible for something so harmless. Not to mention his knotted back, the sweat running off his bald head beneath the uncomfortable helmet and the chaffing of his thighs on the side of the saddle. But the thing that irritated him the most, apart from blister, was the smell; he never thought he could stink so much as he did right now. They had only been riding for six days but it felt and smelt like a month. He just wasn't used to this. The last time an Elven army was raised Egrinlast was a boy, barely 20, and that was quite some time ago. Peace in Idril Séregon, the vast forest that was at the heart of the Elven nation, had reigned for nearly a hundred years and he had to admit, the Elves had gone soft.

One of the cloaked horsemen rode up, pulling his horse in beside Egrinlast. "Sire, do you wish me to ride ahead and make sure it's safe. I will take ten horsemen and..."

"You will do no such thing," Egrinlast cut in. "These are our allies, we are not here to fight. You will ride up alone and announce my presence to King Caden and ask for an audience. Is that clear?"

The rider raised an eyebrow, which even though was under his helmet, Egrinlast saw.

"You got a problem with that, Orophin?" Egrinlast asked.

"No, no, not at all." He paused and lent over to Egrinlast. "Your rear still bothering you then? You seem a bit on edge. Why don't you see the healer?"

"You are joking, the man's got the biggest blabbermouth in the realm, within a day the whole army would know the King has a sore posterior. I can handle it, I just really need to get off this damn horse," Egrinlast replied.

"That is the city alarm bell we can hear. though?" Orophin enquired, pointing at the castle. "Not very welcoming in my opinion."

"Look at it from their point of view, Orophin," Egrinlast explained. "An army of 600 elves has just turned up on their doorstep unannounced. They, like us, haven't fought a war in nearly 100 years, of course their going to panic a bit. We really should have sent an emissary before us to warm them, I'll remember that for next time. Now go and ask for that audience."

"Ok, ok, suppose I shouldn't worry, the humans don't look very intimidating from here anyway," Orophin continued.

Now this did anger Egrinlast. "You really don't have a clue do you? Do not underestimate these people, I have fought beside many races of men but none outmatch the human warrior. You would do well to have more respect as the Elves are no longer the force we once were. Now, are you going to announce my arrival or am I going to have to kick you all the way up to the castle gates?"

Orophin rode off towards the city.

King Caden stood on the ramparts above the main gate looking out over the city to the gleaming army beyond. He wasn't worried, just curious to why they had turned up in the first place. Next to him stood Keria and his Master of the Guard, Ordwin. The huge man with long, graying hair and beard, towered over a foot above his King. He to stared out at the advancing army, absentmindedly chewing on some dried beef. The alarm bell rang incessantly.

"Impressive," shouted Ordwin.

"Eh?" said the king.

"Just saying," Ordwin continued. "It's quite an impressive sight."

"Hold on Ordwin," the King turned and started to shout at the squire standing behind him. "Handran, isn't it?" the squire nodded. "Will you go and tell them to stop ringing the blasted bell. We are not under attack and it's giving me a headache."

The squire sprinted off along the battlements. A minute later the noise stopped.

"Thank the Goddess for that," the King sighed. "Now, you were saying, Ordwin."

"Rider coming, Sire." The watchmen called from high in the tower.

They watched as the lone horseman, Royal standard raised, peeled off from the front of the column. His white war horse cantered along the dusty main road as behind the army started to fan out into the newly cut wheat fields. He slowed as he reached the city outskirts and entered the narrow, cobbled street that led to the main castle gate. The entire road was lined with suspicious townsfolk, almost all with some sort of weapon, whether a sword or a rolling pin. The children stared in awe. They had never seen an elf before, having only been described to them in storied by the tellers as magnificent warriors on white steeds in shining armour. They weren't disappointed.

Orophin trotted his horse confidently up the eerily silent street, hundreds of eyes watching his every move, no-one saying a word. Only a smile from a child now and then lifted the mood but still he would be ready for anything unforeseen. He eventually reached the main square and could see several figures standing along the battlements observing his arrival, many were archers, bows ready in their hands. He rode up to the gate and bowed his head to the humans above.

"I come representing High Lord Egrinlast of the Great Elven Empire. He requests an audience with King Indridan at his earliest convenience," Orophin announced to the crowds on the ramparts.

Caden allowed himself a smile. "Great Elven Empire," he whispered to Keria. "Haven't heard that in a long time. It amused me then and I find that it still does now."

Caden called down. "Tell your Lord if he wants to talk he doesn't need an army behind him to get an invite."

Orophin sighed. "Can you please inform your superior of the request. I do not need a lecture from an underling; and for your information I have exceptionally good hearing."

"Oops, forgot about that," said Caden still smiling. "What is your name envoy, I would like to know who's kin educated him in such a way that he talks to a King in this manner."

Orophin grasped his mistake immediately. Bowing again, this time a little lower. "Sire I did not realise..." he blurted.

"Not all Kings wear their crown permanently on their head boy," he emphasised the boy but in reality the elf was probably about Caden's age. "Now, again, what is your name?"

"Orophin, Sire", he answered quickly.

"Ah, son of Ansion, your father is a fine bowman if I recall. How is he?" Caden enquired.

This threw Orophin somewhat. "Yes, he is in good health," he replied.

"Anyway, enough chit chat, tell your High Lord I'd be delighted if he could join me for, what was it, an audience at his earliest convenience," Caden instructed the confused elf.

"As you wish, Sire," Orophin quickly turned his horse and this time galloped down the Main Street.

"Nothing better than an awkward elf," Caden remarked. "Right, Ordwin. We better put on a show for our friends, time to get the good silver out."