A Good Ol' Race

You know when you're late to something and you're trying to do everything at once? That's what the ten seconds before a race starts is like. Quickly, I slung my bow over my shoulder with my arrows, my throwing knives equipped in my belt. I positioned my sword in a small compartment Darren and Natalie had added to the chariot. Gods, I can feel myself grinning. I checked my armour and looked to Dy to give her a smile, which was my way of reassuring her we'd kick ass. All we had to do was reach the road and come back (we usually do it twice, I guess we're trying something different out.)

Five, four, three, two; everyone's horses leapt forward on the word one. Dy was steering us pretty clear of most competitors, it gave me time to get a look at everyone's strategies. Aella and Wendy were riding up pretty close to Kal and Sera. Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Wendy sent a shot straight for Kal's throat but Kal caught it with a fireball, which just melted Aella's sword. Shit, she's pissed. Aella jumped from her role as driver, which Wendy quickly replaced her as. Ares kids are anger driven morons, but they're not that stupid. Aella threw herself onto Sera and Kal's horses, oh shit. She pissed Sera off. Oh shit man. I haven't seen her do this since April fools. She lit herself on fire. Aella cut the connections between the horses and the chariot and jumped into the bushes off the track. Looks like she just threw the race, and ruined Kal and Sera's chances. Wendy steered their chariot and horses off the track, while Kal and Sera were left on the spot. Kal calmed Sera down, which was an impressive talent of hers.

Dy kept us at a steady pace, she seemed to be having a conversation with the horses. We were just coming up behind Alison and Aslynn, fuck, Aslynn's on offence. We weren't getting past them. Flora and Hadley on the other hand, might. Hadley was driving and Flora, well I actually couldn't see Flora. Where'd she go? A scream came from Alison's chariot, oh. There she is. Teleporting is a low thing to do in competitions, but if it works for you. Dy took the opportunity to come up next to their chariot and overtake them. Flora and Aslynn were almost falling out of their chariot.

Alison was working hard just keeping it on the track. Wait, no. She just rammed their chariot into Hadley, I've never seen a child of Aphrodite look so angry. Rowan's face told me that I had spoken too soon. Alison seemed to be losing interest in the race, which I thought was strange until it dawned on me that Rowan can manipulate the emotions of others. Oh no. Alison's chariot came to a stop. Rowan has got quite the temper for a child of Aphrodite. The familiar sound of Aslynn screaming brought my attention to behind my chariot. Instinctively I armed my bow and arrow, raising the arrow at the pair of them. Dy yelled, informing me that the finish line was straight ahead.

Flora and Aslynn looked like they were having very rough lesbian sex before they were interrupted by my arrow hitting Aslynn's leg. She struggled to hold onto the horse, but I knew Aslynn wouldn't go down easily. She's a stubborn one. She grabbed Flora, which wasn't the best idea. Flora bent Aslynn's arm a way that arms should never be bent, I turned to face the road ahead, just in time to watch Dy steer us through the finish line.

We won, well, how couldn't we? All the other teams took each other out. I couldn't help but grin as my fellow campers screamed for Dy and my victory. I turned to my sister, hoping to congratulate her but she had already started sucking faces with Gabe. Ugh, gross. Natalie seemed even more disgusted than I was. I looked across everyone's faces, one in particular catching my eye. She looked older than most people here, she had brown hair and tired eyes, but they also looked caring. She had olive skin and dressed like she was brown a hundred years ago. Oh. Lady Artemis. I just basically checked out lady Artemis! My thoughts were interrupted by Chiron making his way through the crowd, giving me his proud smile.

"Congratulations to Callista and Dynemia!" His voice boomed across the camp, everyone erupted with cheers and began making their way to the mess hall. I walked with Elsa, who was always hesitant to talk to me since she was claimed by Khinoe. I made a few jokes, attempting to break her cold exterior and get at least a smile out of her. I was stopped in my tracks by a hand taking its place on my shoulder. But of course this hand was also connected to a body, so that's my real problem here. The body this hand was connected to. I'm rambling. I gestured for Elsa to go on to dinner without me, which she seemed more than happy to do and turned to face the owner of this hand. Who I found to be none other than lady Artemis.