A Strange Turn Of Events

As the field emptied and the mess hall lit up, Artemis walked me through the camp grounds. We stood in silence, we passed Aslynn and Flora in the infirmary, Flora flipped me off when she realised I was laughing. Then Artemis and I continued on our silent walk.

"Lily, Rory, Bekah, those girls were my family. Lily was my lieutenant, she was loyal and protected me until the end. Bekah, she always kept my girls in line even if she was no longer lieutenant. She was their big sister. And Rory, Rory held us together. We were a family and those monsters took them from me." Artemis said, her voice turned cold at the memory. I couldn't work out how to respond, so instead I listened.

"They died honourably, they died with their moral. I want a family again, Callista. A few girls at this camp have already requested to join the hunt. Tatum, Savannah, Crystal, Mary, even a girl of eight; Ariel." My little sister Ariel of course, she only arrived at camp a few weeks ago.

"Lily told me of the brave halfbloods at camp, she mentioned many. But as I take it a few of those girls are ineligible for the hunt. Flora, Aslynn and Dynemia have shared the company of a man. Hadley, Rowan and Elsa grow uninterested and bored with us. I wish you to join us, I wish you to serve as my lieutenant. I will be going away to hunt the monsters that killed my girls, and will need someone whom I can trust the lives of these girls with, to protect them, to lead them." I understood her offer, I understood the consequences of joining the hunt. But I also understood my responsibilities to my family, for I am Callista Snowdon, one of the five children of Poseidon.

"I will act as your lieutenant, lady Artemis." Is all I could bring myself to say. Artemis's once hard face had broken into a warm smile, she smiled like my mother used to.

"I leave tonight, I would also expect you to take the place as cabin leader of my cabin here at camp, immediately." Artemis informed me, I nodded slowly. She took my hands in hers, a glowing light surrounding them. Artemis began mumbling something in Greek that I couldn't quite make out, then after pulling away she mentioned a few gifts I would find on my bed in my new cabin before taking her leave. I can't imagine staying in a cabin that isn't by the water. Cabin three was empty, as was cabin eight; the noise coming from the mess hall told me that's where I'd find the inhabitants to both of these cabins. Of course I wasn't complaining, this just meant I'd be able put off speaking to my siblings about my sudden move. It took a few trips between the two cabins to move all my things, and as I set down my last box I finally noticed how beautiful cabin eight was. It was silver, and the outside seemed to glow the same way the aura around my hands had. The room was not filled with bunks, but singular beds. My thoughts were interrupted by Aella yelling something as everyone walked to their cabins. I wanted to avoid any of my eternal sisters for now, so I could face my seawater smelling siblings. I walked to cabin three, giving some of my friends smiles as I passed them and let myself in.

"There you are!" Tyler greeted with a grin, pulling me in for an overbearing hug. It was Dy who noticed something was putting me off first, Natalie hadn't returned yet but I could speak to her later. Of course Dynemia assumed the worse, checking me for any fatal wounds. Which made me laugh, it was more of a sad laugh than anything else.

"I'm fine Dy. I'm fine." I paused for a moment, watching their facial expressions.

"Artemis spoke to me today."

"Oh yeah we know. Everyone was talking about it at dinner" Tyler said, probably trying to keep the conversation light hearted.

"She asked me to join the huntress's, act as her lieutenant. That's why my stuffs gone." I said, which brought the conversation down. Dy grabbed me, pulling me in for a hug, Tyler seemed like he couldn't help himself from joining in. The hug lasted a few minutes before Dy's voice cut through the silence.

"We are so proud of you, right Ty?" She looked to Tyler, he nodded like the cute little brother he is. Dynemia seemed to remember something and rushed to her draws, digging around until she found a, a necklace. Predictable. But it is pretty. It was one of those pop open lockets and has a picture of Her, Tyler, Nat and I in it. Dynemia put it on for me then hugged me goodbye.

After leaving cabin three I was stopped in my tracks by Natalie. She was frantic and out of breath. It took a few minutes for me to calm her down and by that time it was late. Her and I took a silent walk to the beach and sat together for awhile, who cares though, right? I have all the time in the world.

"I don't know what's up with Darren. He barely talks to me anymore and when he does he's all moody. He treats me like shit! And his eyes are darker. It's weird." Natalie said, concern lacing her voice.

"It sounds like you like him." I replied teasingly.

"Do not" Nat retorted.

"Do too" I retorted to that, my voice staying calm.

"I do not." Nat's tone made it clear this was annoying her.

"Do too!" I teased, this continued for another few rounds as Nat grew more frustrated.

"There's something wrong with him, he's okay with hurting things now." She said the last part quieter before standing up and walking to cabin three. Well, I guess Dy would explain once she noticed I wasn't following her. I walked to the front door of cabin eight, opening it silently and pulling myself into a bed I reserved earlier and stated at the ceiling, recounting the things different to cabin three before I feel asleep thinking about how much better this cabin smells.