chapter three

"We haven't tried to look for Vylad, and if Zianna found that out. . . she wouldn't be happy."

I cling to the wall after pausing my walk around the castle. That was King Garte, and he must've shown up a day early before the ball.

"You're not going to look for your own son? I tried to look for my own daughter."

I've been told of Vylad's disappearance, however, when it comes to papers and news being sent out about it, it has been rare to see. It could be the possibility that Vylad was a prince from another kingdom, but it may be deeper than that.

"You know damn well that Vylad was from an affair Zianna had. As of your daughter, she had an arranged marraige she needed to fulfill."

My breath hitches, and suddenly quick and heavy footsteps become louder the closer they get to me. I didn't think they would hear me. But when I tried to break a clean get away, they were already standing in front of me.

My arm is harshly grabbed, and I'm pushed forward.

"To your resting chambers," King Hayden orders. "You are to forget everything you heard. You hear me?!"

I leave towards my room with my head low. I pass by Laurance, and when he tries to talk to me, I only continue to walk forward.

Laurance begins to chase after me, and this leads for me sprinting away. I make it to my room, but then he bangs on my door.

"Y/N, what's wrong? Let me in, please."

For the few days I've known Laurance, I can tell he means well. With said, I open the door only for him to fall forward.

"What happen?" Laurance asks. He takes his hand into mine, and he wipes hos thumb across my cheek. "You're crying. Don't cry, I don't like seeing you cry."

I sit on top of my bed.

"They're so harsh," I murmur. "King Garte knows that Vylad is missing, but refuses to even look for him. He's lying to his own wife!"

He rubs my back and begins to talk, "I had already known of this. King Garte cares more about his power than his power and strength of his kingdom than his own kingdom. Garroth and Zane are here if you want to talk to them about Vylad, but I suggest you go to Garroth. Zane isn't the most friendliest person to be around. You could even ask Taryn, my sister did have some kind of interest in Vylad."

He helps me stand, and twirls me around. I stumble on my feet, and he stares at me funny.

"You do know how to dance, don't you?" When I shake my head no, he instantly puts me into a dance position. "I'll have to teach you."

I continually step on his feet, and each time I do so I apologize. It gets to the point where Laurance takes off my shoes and makes me stand on his toes.

"Doesn't this hurt?" I ask him, looking down.

"Not at all," Laurance smiles. "Follow my lead."

Within that small time, I had forgotten all about my run in with the two kings, and even about the tears I had shed. I learned that Laurance's smiles and blue eyes has that kind of spell over people. A kind of spell that makes butterflies appear in your stomach, and the kind of spell that rids of the thoughts that what could be happening is wrong.

"I haven't met the Princess of Brightport yet," he sighs. "I meet her tomorrow at your ball. I don't look forward to it."

That's when the voice that told me what I was doing was wrong wins.

"That sounds fun," I choke out. "I assure you that she's an amazing girl."

"I hope I can believe you."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Dinner was silent. Neither family member of the Ro'meaves or Zvahls had let a single word slips from their lips. Myself, I was too scared to talk in general.

I had excused myself early during dinner, and I quickly changed for bed. Taryn was confused on my actions, and she stopped me while I was brushing my hair. She took the hairbrush from my hand, and begun to finish brushing my hair for me.

"What happened?" She asked, and that was when I cried everything out that had happened earlier that day.

"Would you like to hear a story about Vylad?" I nod my head, and she begins to tell the story.

In Taryn's words, it all started the night Alex had met Vylad. After their meeting, they had roamed around the gardens outside of the castle. Although they knew what was happening was wrong, they continued on anyway. Constant giggles and flirting filled the air, and when it was just about time for the ball to end itself, Vylad had told her why he was so familiar.

She left her with a kiss on her cheek, and with a smile that wouldn't leave her lips.

Alex told Taryn everything, even that she wanted to see him again. But sadly, she knew she couldn't.

Alex soon disappeared, and Vylad did soon after at. Papers went out for each of their disappearances, but most of Vylad's vanished like Vylad himself.

Except, in the ones that contained information about Vylad, it ended with saying that he had 'died'.

"Are you hinting that Vylad left because of Alex?" I ask, and I clutch the paper in my hands. The same words on the sheet running through my head, cause of death: unknown.

"That I don't know. Considering of King Garte's thoughts on Vylad, and how he doesn't care of his disappearance, it could've always been planned, but Vylad must've acted on it first."

Then suddenly there was a knock on the door.