chapter one

I've had mornings where I wake up, and I can't remember where I am. Or even the days where I had dreamt of being adopted, and I wake up relazing that I'm still in the orphanage.

When I woke up today I couldn't figure out where I was. I started to panic, and then I realized that I was in the palace.

"Good morning Princess," Taryn, my lady in waiting, hums as she walks over to the closet filled with many clothing pieces and accessories. "I'm assuming that you'll fit in Princess Alex's dresses. You appear to be her size."

I've always been a slim girl. While growing up in the orphanage, I was kept at a skinny figure. I suppose it was because of the food supply, and the fact that I have been there for most of my life.

"No need to be proper with me," I say.

Taryn brings me into the gigantic closest, and I look around realizing just how big it is. She begins to explain the different types of dresses, fabrics, accessories, and I simply stand in the center of the room gaping at the large supply. Knowing that this belonged to one person is crazy.

"For now we'll put you in something simple," she explains. "Then once you meet Prince Leonardo, you'll be dressed to impress."

She hands me a pretty pastel pink dress, and the fabric is soft, but I cannot define what kind it is. For the dress being casual, it still remains fancier than any of the dresses I would wear at the orphanage.

"Do you like it?" Taryn asks. I nod my head as I run my fingers over the lace. "Great. I must warn you. . . You may not be used to the way we dress our princesses. In fact, it's sort of painful."

I nod my head slowly, and she begins to announce directions. The corset I'm made to wear is not my favorite, and it is uncomfortable. Although, it isn't on that tight.

I'm brought down to the dinning room, and I look around to see King Hayden sitting at the head of the table, but also Prince Laurance and Princess Cadenza sitting in their spots across from one another.

I smooth down my dress and sit down in the fancy dinning chair.

Princess Cadenza and Prince Laurance, who I am now supposed to call by their normal names, introduce themselves to me. I'm informed of my future lessons, and even my meet up with Prince Leonardo of Scaleswind. All is grande until he tells me into more deep detail about my arrival in the palace.

"Don't think that you're adopted," he announces as he stabs at his food. "Until my daughter is found, you're taking her place. Once she's found, you're no longer needed anymore."

I nod my head. What else I supposed to do when a piece of my heart is torn off? I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I'll forever remain in the orphanage.

"Father, you're just going to send her back?" Laurance's eyes meet mine after the words slip from his mouth.

"Laurance, it shouldn't matter to you anyway. You will be king in less than a year," King Hayden rolls his eyes. "I don't want you to get attached. Or worse. . . to develop feelings for this orphan."

Breakfast ends, and I couldn't be more relieved. I feel like I was stomped on my heart, and I now know I'm only being used. I suppose this is for the best. The kingdoms will unit without any fighting, and then I'll be out of their hair. It's a win for everybody but me.

I'm brought to princes lessons, and I brought to a mean looking, middle aged, lady. She has a ruler of some sort in her hand, and it scares me.

"First we will begin with your manners," she says. "Then, we will move onto other subjects before you must get ready for your meeting with Prince Leonardo. My, what a wonderful prince he is."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"I suppose this dress will do."

I'm told to spin around, and I watch as the puffy dress flairs out from under me. I have many petticoats under the final light blue layer itself.

"Alex loved the color purple, but the prince loves the color blue. I figured the blue would help you impress him more."

Taryn places a diamond necklace around my neck, and I can't help but notice how pretty it is. But that's until I'm wandering along the closest, and I run into tiaras.

"You found those before I could get one for you," Taryn comments as she reaches for one. "The royal announcement and you appearance of the long lost sister is tomorrow."

She places the tiara on my head, and the weight of the tiara throws me off. Although it is perfectly stable on the top of my head, I'm afraid that it'll fall off.

"She never did love Prince Leonardo," Taryn murmurs handing me a pair of shoes. "I figured I'd tell you. The day of the grande ball, the one before she rna away, she ran off but met someone. She told me about him, but I never learned of a last name. He loved her, but I don't know if he learned to love her, or if he just natually fell for him. He's a good person, and I think that you'll get along well."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

"Prince Leonardo," says a random servant. "Princess Y/N is here."

He looks up at me and smiles. My lacy parasol casts a cool shade upon me, and I smile back towards Prince Leonardo. A chair is pulled out for me to sit on, and I thank the servant.

I look around to see that we're in the royal garden.

"Hello Prince Leonardo," I greet.

"Please, call me Leo. If we're going to go be married soon, it's best we learn about each other on a name to name basis."

What I think of as minutes pass, and I've already learned so much. When I compare myself to Leo, it seems like he's beyond amazing. Growing up as an orphan I can't go to many places, but he's told me about his adventures in other kingdoms and about people he's met.

"Tomorrow is my announcement," I remind. "You will be there, correct?"

"Of course, I dont leave until for a few days. Besides, how else would the engagement unfold?"

He hasn't even proposed to me yet, and we're already calling one another fiancé.

"I hope you don't mind about the arranged wedding. Love will come during the process, and I like to think I'm not a terrible person to love. The end result of this marraige is peace between our kingdoms."

"Of course I don't mind. Peace between our kingdoms is needed, and if a marraige solves it, then I'm perfectly fine with marrying you. You seem wonderful, and I'm sure we'll get along well together."