Chapter 3: Neku and Joshua 💜

The car was moving, that much I could tell. Slight vibrations that indicated motion filled my entire body. Voices could be heard from the front seat. To them, I was a ghost: completely see through and undetectable. A slight pressure on the back of my head told me that my head was resting on the car door. Sitting up from that position was difficult and what's worse, my bracelet's made a chime noise as I did it.

The metallic sounds from the bracelets alerted the people up front. "So, you're finally awake," said the driver. The voice sounded almost female, but after gathering more observations, I knew better than to just guess that. Driving the car was a boy (or at least I think it was a boy) around my age. His hair was dark blond with a few tinges of brown and light blond hiding in his wild, unkept mane. There were no accessories to his outfit, making it very simple. Simplicity is something I've always admired. As his face was straight ahead, eyes fixed on the road in front of us, so his face was obscured.

Before I could ask any questions, the person in the passenger's seat chimed in, "I'd never expect to see Sora in a place like this." The voice was clearly a boy's voice. Sora? I thought. What is he talking about?  I'm not...

"That's because that isn't Sora, Neku," the driver replied. "That's just a girl who looks very similar to Sora." 

Neku? Where have I heard that name before?

Trying to be clever, I said to the driver, "I'm not Sora! One just needs to look at my chest to see that. Honestly, I feel slightly insulted that you would think that I'm - !"

The person in the passenger seat just said scoffed at me. "Shut up! Your voice is almost as irritating as hers." Now that I heard his voice clear as a bell, I remembered where I heard his name before.

The only person I have ever heard of named "Neku" was Neku Sakuraba, a character who had made an appearance in Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance. Sora had previously helped him and his friends get back to their world, so what was he doing here? This is just supposing we're talking about the same person. Nerve is something I lack a lot of, but this was one of those times when I was willing to talk to people.

So I asked the passenger, "Are you Neku Sakuraba?" Sounding kind of irritated, the passenger responded by saying, "Who else would I be?" In that moment, I actually got a glimpse of him. His orange hair was spiked in a certain way so that his headphones would fit over it, his eyes seemed cold and unfeeling, and his clothes reminded me of a sushi roll. Yup, that's Neku all right!

 He said to the driver, "Guess the jig is up, Josh

 He said to the driver, "Guess the jig is up, Josh." Wait, Josh? Joshua... why hadn't I guessed it sooner?

His real name is Yoshiya Kiriyu, but he more often goes by his nickname "Joshua". Like I said before, he is slightly androgynous, making it hard to tell what gender he is. For reasons unknown, he dresses and sometimes acts feminine. Giggling at what he finds amusing (which is just about everything), he does come off as a bit of a judgmental priss. Believe me, though, Joshua has good intentions for everything he does. He's proven his worth on multiple occasions.