Chapter Four

I paced my room, twiddling my hands as I always do when I'm nervous. I had a... A brother. Really? But... Why did I never know? Why did my mom and dad keep this from me? I just don't understand...

Chap chap chap.

"Copsyn?"

I kept my back to Cassie as she walked in and closed the door behind her.

I kept the small photo in my hand, running my thumb over my dad's untidy scrawled writing, waiting for the right moment to confront her.

"Copsyn, I believe I've behaved a bit... Irrationally... For a young woman in your situation... At this time... I'm sure it must be difficult-"

"When were you going to tell me I had a brother?"

Cassie stopped, tears still streaming down her face. She stuttered, searching for words, unable to find them. "I-I Just... I wasn't allowed to-"

"You said you wanted to help me," I cut in. "But when you could let me go, to stay with my FAMILY, you took a CHANGE OF HEART!" I yelled at her.

She shook her head, wiping away her tears. "It wasn't my information to share! Copsyn, you have to understand-"

"Understand what? After my mom and my dad died, there wouldn't be anyone to tell me anyway! So why didn't you just come out with it? Did-Did you just think you'd never tell me? That I'd never find out? Well I FUCKING DID!" I screamed at her until my mouth felt dry, and she just stood there and took it, a distressed look on her face. The room fell silent, my exhausted pants echoing from my rage. I looked at my feet, as I shuffled over to my bed and sat down, running my hands over my face.

"I just..." I sighed. "I don't understand why no one told me... Everyone knows how much I want to get out of here. And I could. I have a guardian. A blood related guardian. Just... Let me go..." I sobbed, finally breaking. "I... Want to go home..." I sat for a while, just crying. I then felt the bed sink under new weight beside me. Cassie's hand land on my shoulder, trying to comfort me, but I shook it off. I didn't want her sympathy.

She sighed. "Copsyn..." She started. "The reason no one told you... Well... Your brother wasn't of the best kind..."

My head shot up and I shot her a glare, which she sighed at.

"No...no that came out wrong... He just got in a bad way... And he ran away from home, before you were even born. Well, just before you were born, actually." She twiddled her thumbs anxiously.

I narrowed my eyes, silently asking for her to carry on.

She sighed again. "He was only ten... And he left. They never knew why... And they never wanted you to... Let's say... Get ideas, about doing that. They wanted you to be nice and loving, and never leave them. And you did that. You were a great kid. All because you never knew about Liam." She finished. I tried to process what she was telling me, and fixed her with a cold stare. She fiddled around, obviously nervous as to my reaction. I just stared into space.

"Okay..." I said. "Okay."

She sighed. "Well, I'll leave you alone now." She said. "That's a lot for one person to take all in one night..." She trailed off.

I continued to stare into space, not moving.

She sighed and left, closing the door softly behind her.

That's when I decided.

I was going to find my brother.