Chapter Two

Me and Freddie didn’t speak much for the rest of the lesson. We exchanged a couple of looks while he looked over my shoulder to copy my work but apart from that, we didn’t make much contact. After Mrs. White had finished talking about Seismic waves, or whatever it was she was on about, I packed up my bags and headed to the door.

“Hey!? Aren’t you going to wait for me?” Freddie called out.

“Um, yeah sure.” I said. I leant up against the door frame as Freddie gathered his belongings.

“Hurry up!” I snigger as he picks up his bag and the rest of his books.

“Sorry.” He says with a smile.

As we walk into the canteen all the ‘popular’ girls are scowling at me. I mean, I had just walked into the canteen with the hottest guy in the school.

“And this is the canteen. That’s pretty much all the main spots on the school but you will pick it up pretty quick.” I say as we sit on the closest table to us.

“Thanks for the tour.” He says with a wink.

As he gets his lunch out all I can think of is the glares I am getting from the jealous girls. I look around and see Lola; she’s giving me a look that could kill. Lola is the school bully that for the last 5 years has made my life a living hell. She has short person syndrome. She is easily jealous of anyone who is taller than her and likes to make the taller people in her life feel about 2 feet tall. She points in my direction then laughs hysterically to her worshipers who just laugh with a stupid, vacant look on their faces. Freddie notices that I look uncomfortable and a bit upset. He looks in the same direction as where I was previously staring.

“School bully?” he says. I nod and look down at the table. “I understand. She’s made your life hell and is now tormenting you because for the first time ever you’re not eating lunch alone?”

“Pretty much.” I murmur. “How did you know?”

“Just a guess. I was bullied in my last school and wanted to make a whole new reputation for myself in this new school. So I get myself some confidence, new look and I feel so much happier! Trust me, it gets better!” he says with a smile. I smile back and blush as he reaches over to hold my hand. I stare into his eyes and in that moment, I get lost in his deep ocean eyes. In that moment, I feel safe. In the corner of my eye I see Lola marching over to us with her stupid worshipers following behind her.

“Shit.” I whisper under my breath.

“What?” I nod in Lola’s direction. He turns round and then says to me,

“Don’t worry Belle. I’ve got this.” He shifts closer to me and puts his arm around my waist.

“Play along.” He says through gritted teeth. No one has ever been this ‘touchy-feely’ with me but I play along, even if I do feel awkward.

“Hello ladies.” Freddie says as the girl’s tower over us. I would usually feel petrified in a situation like this but for the first time I really don’t feel scared by her presents.

“How can we help you?” he said with a sarcastic grin on his face; I couldn’t help but snigger.

“Oi,nerd! What’s so funny?!” Lola glares.

“N-nothing” I say burying my head into Freddie shoulder. I don’t know why I did it but It felt right and he didn’t exactly hate me for doing it.

“HEY! Leave her alone!” he barks as he gets up and towers over her. “What did she do to you? What did this beautiful girl ever do to you, huh?” he spits as he walks closer to her. Lola and her worshipers just have this bewildered look on their faces as no one has ever stood up to her, let alone a ‘newbie’. Lola grunts, flicks her long blonde hair and leaves without another word. Freddie turns around to face me and sits back opposite me.

“T-thanks.” I stutter. “No one has ever stood up for me, ever! It really means a lot!”

“No problem! I protect my friends. I take care of them.” He said as he beams a smile in my direction.

“Friend?” I say with a look of shock on my face. “I’ve never had a friend.” I say with a small smile that’s gradually getting bigger.

“Well, you do now.” Freddie says as he flashes another smile to me. For the second time today, Freddie has managed to make me blush terribly.