Police Business

Only a moment after Katoa left, a man in a police uniform entered the inn. His eyes roved over all the occupants of the tavern, apparently looking for someone, finally settling on the party at the bar. With a few long strides, he was beside them, and Soren and the party turned to greet him. "Hello, officer. What brings you here?" Ame pulled her hood over her head and turned away.

The officer stood tall and answered, "'Lo, I am looking for Soren Tyto, Ame Kuroi, Rudolf Barn, and Robert Cuttingham." Robert coughed on his beer in surprise and Soren raised his eyebrows. Ame grumbled under her breath and then turned her head a little and said, "oh, why is that?"

"I need to ask them a few questions."

"Why do you need them?" she asked, concerned. "They in trouble?"

"They are not necessarily in trouble, but they may have information concerning a murder."

"A murder?" Soren repeated.

Rudolf chuckled and shook his head. "Oh, this is going to be interesting."

Ame shrugged her shoulders and played innocent, though not a very good job at that. "Ahhhhh, well, unfortunately I don't know where Ame is, sorry."

The constable answered Soren. "Yes, a certain Jonah Rosenberg was found dead by his maid this morning." They were all taken aback, and saw immediately how they were connected.

"The creepy fella?"

"Rosenberg?"

"Uhh, how exactly did he die?"

The officer kept a straight face. "He was strangled."

Rudolf and Soren exchanged a glance.

"Now anyway, I was told that the people I am seeking visited Mr. Rosenberg yesterday, so do you know where they are?"

The party looked at Soren, as though it were somehow silently, unanimously agreed that he was in charge of this. He took a deep breath, "I am afraid that we are the ones you are looking for."

The officer nodded. "I suspected as much. Please follow me."

The four got up, and followed him out into the cold. After a few minutes walking in almost complete silence, they arrived at the police station.

The officer led them into a waiting room, furnished with a few chairs, a lamp, and at the end of the room was a space in the wall to the next room with desk. Two officers stood guard. The officer turned to Soren and beckoned to a door. "Soren Tyto, please follow me. The rest of you wait here."

Soren whispered to them before following him, "those two men I told you about - I knew those men were up to something."

"Good luck, Soren," Robert whispered back.

"Very well, sir." Soren nodded to his companions, and followed the officer out the door and down the hall. The three that were left sat down and waited.

"Aye, this is some nasty business," Robert said, folding his hands on his lap.

Ame was looking especially nervous and grim. "I'm sure everything will go smoothly. They'll ask their unhelpful questions, and then we can get down to business." She sounded like she was speaking mostly to reassure herself.

"Aye."

Rudolf murmured, ''We'll see...''

"What sorts of questions do you think they're asking?" Ame said suddenly after a few minutes, tapping her fingers on her lap. "You don't think they suspect us, do you?"

Rudolf started to answer, but stopped as the door opened and Soren and the officer came back out.

Soren sat down in a chair with a half-smile on his face.