Sharing Resources

The three men and the boy slowly descended the steps of the imposing stone city garrison down onto the cobblestone street. "So what now, guys?" Katoa said, voicing what they were all thinking.

"I have some vague plans I'm working on," Rudolf said. "I think it best that first we find someplace to think and speak at length. I suggest either Jenkins, or a park, or one of our houses. We ought to also visit the Evening Star and see if we can find anything among the ashes and rubble. But not yet, as the police won't let us near and the fire's still burning."

"It's no good searching for Ame and Jaeger," Soren said. "If they want to be hidden there's no chance of finding them."

Rudolf just opened his mouth to speak again when a familiar voice spoke to them. It was so unexpected and they couldn't tell where it came from at first. It was feminine... and young... and sassy...

"Did someone call?" It was Ame.

They looked around for where she was, puzzled.

"I'm in the bushes," Ame's voice said. "Get away from the station so I can show myself."

"Let's move away from the evil that is the police force, shall we?" Katoa said.

"Right, let's just head back to Jenkins," Soren said.

"Unless, we decide that is not safe enough again," Rudolf added, "in which case we go to Soren's house. That, if he allows."

"Oh yes, what a marvelous idea! That way all of you can have a chance to vomit on my floor!"

Rudolf held up a hand and relented. "I completely understand, Soren. To Jenkins it is."

"Yeah, I'll just meet you guys at Jenkins," the bushes said. After that, the bushes rustled, and were silent.

"She is a strange one," Rudolf said.

"Aye, I wonder what she was up to," added Robert.

As they walked to their beloved tavern, snow began to gently fall.

Rudolf smiled. "Hm... how I do love the snow."

"Oh, how I hate the snow," Soren grumbled. Rudolf turned to him, exasperated that he would even be contrary about this only to see a grin on his face. "I jest," he winked. Rudolf smiled and shook his head.

Presently, Rudolf broached another subject, more active than the weather. "Robert, Soren, what do you think of this war? Do you care who wins?"

Katoa lit a cigarette and put it to his mouth.

"Bunch of bologna," Robert remarked.

Soren nodded. "Agreed, Rob."

"Then is it the same to you whether Princess Josephina or King Hohenstaufen wins?"

"Well, Hohenstaufen is a buffoon," Soren said. "He's too easily manipulated by his bureaucrats."

Katoa exhaled a small cloud of smoke. "Well, it is easy to manipulate people. Especially buffoons."

"He lost popularity after the Tarkanate War, but that was more General Ulming's fault," Rudolf said. "The way I see it, both sides have decent claims to power, and both make some good points. I don't think either is worth fighting and dying for though."

Soren nodded, granting this. "Now my fear is that Josephina will become just a figurehead for the rebellion. While all the lords say they wish to press her claims on the empire, it seems more that they simply hope to retain their political power in their Dominions. But I have also heard that she is quite intelligent and could potentially restore order after the war."