Chapter 9

The sun shone bright in the sky, rays of light falling on Thomas's face, through the window. He opened his eyes slightly, blinking to get used to his lit up room. He hummed softly and sat up, rubbing the back of his hand over his eyes. He turned to his left and looked through the window at Teresa's house, at her room window. He got out of the bed, sighing. He hadn't expected Teresa to text him yesterday night. He regretted clicking on the text message which took him right into the Whatsapp chat. He knew that she knew that he had seen the message, but he couldn't bring himself to text back. He was going to stick by what he said, he was going to avoid Teresa at least until he was clear on what he felt for her. He could avoid her and when he was clear on what relationship he wanted with Teresa, whether it was friendship or something else, things between him and her would be back to normal, right?

He decided to leave for school before Teresa had the opportunity to come find him. So he got ready for school within 30 minutes and rushed downstairs to the hall. His mom was in the kitchen, preparing breakfast for the three of them.

"Hey Mom.", Thomas said.

"Hey...Look who's ready for school....", She looked at the wall clock, "An hour earlier." His mom turned to look at him, surprised, "Why so soon?"

"Woke up and couldn't fall asleep again, so I got ready.", He answered, not elaborating.

"Okay. Well, I'll get the breakfast ready in a few. Sit down."

"No thanks, mom. I'm gonna go."

His mom turned to him, "What's up with you? You have an hour to get to school. Eat." When Thomas started to protest, she shut him down, "This is not up for discussion."

He sighed, sitting down to the dining table. He tapped his foot against the tiled floor, impatiently, worried about facing Teresa. His mom served him a plate of bread toast with peanut butter and honey. The sight of food made his stomach growl and he realized that he was hungry. She sat beside him at the table, "Why have you really got ready for school so early?"

"Told you. I woke up and couldn't fall asleep again."

"I'm your mother. I know that you never, and I mean never, have trouble falling asleep after you waking up."

"There's a first time for everything.", Thomas mumbled, focusing his eyes in the food.

"Not with you, there isn't."

"There's nothing wrong with me."

"I never said there was. But you kind of just admitted that there is something bothering you."

Thomas stayed silent, stuffing his mouth.

"What is bothering you, sweetie?", His mom asked gently.

"Nothing. I'm fine.", Thomas said, still not meeting her eyes.

"I can tell that something's amiss."

"It's not, though. Everything is fine.", He responded curtly.

"Thomas, you can tell me anything...", His mom trailed off and he just couldn't take it. He groaned, "Mom, why are you always in my business? I'll tell you if something is wrong."

His mom stared for a second, "Okay." She stood up and ruffled his hair. "I just wanted you to know that I'm right here, whenever you need me."

He gave her a small smile and she thought for a second, before saying, "Hey...Did Teresa tell you anything?"

Thomas closed his eyes at the mention of his best friend.

"About what?"

"Her mother and stuff..."

Thomas frowned, "What happened to her mother?"

His mother closed her eyes, not saying anything.

"Mom?", He asked.

She hesitated before saying, "Nothing...Just be there for Teresa, alright. Your friendship would mean a lot to her, now more than ever."

"Mom, what's going on?"

"It's not my place to tell, honey. Have a good day at school. Keep what I said in mind." She sauntered back to the kitchen, leaving Thomas confused. He didn't know what his mother was talking about. He scratched his head, squinting. What his mom was asking of him to be there for Teresa....He was worried for her but he couldn't just behave close with her, not when his own feelings were dwindling. He finished his breakfast and left for school, before Teresa could come knocking door.

____________________________

Short chapter, I know, Sorry for that. But I kinda got busy again, not studies and all, but.... I don't know how many of you see it, but there's this show called Shadowhunters that I adore. The actress who plays Sonya in the Scorch Trials and Death Cure movie, Katherine McNamara, is the lead in the tv show. It's a really interesting supernatural series. It got cancelled 😭 But the fans are tweeting on Twitter using #SaveShadowhunters and making it trend daily to make sure the show gets picked up. I've been doing that for 5 days now, with little to no sleep.

If any of you have a twitter account, please tweet the hastag with a words or a gif or pic. Each tweet counts. There's this petition which if you guys could sign, would be very helpful. Please guys, help me out. I love the show and the characters and the cast so much.

Even if you guys can't tweet, please sign the petition. I'll give the next chapter in a week.

https://chn.ge/2JuCCdy