Untitled Part 2

It had been around 10:00 pm when Clara heard the phone ring that Saturday night. She had been anxiously pacing back and forth in the kitchen and biting her nails-a poor habit she had gained as a small and meek little one and had never managed to get rid of. Had never really tried to to be honest. They were pretty much down to the nub at that point. Clara had expected them around 9:00 and they were an hour late and every time she had tried to call, no one had answered. So when she had received the call she rushed to pick her phone up.

 "Hello" she had heard an unfamiliar and solemn voice when she answered. "Hello" she had responded, confused and feeling even more nervous than before. "Who is this?" The man didn't respond to her inquiry . "Is this Ms. Posey speaking?" He has questioned her in a voice that sounded detached and almost bored. "Yes. This is her" Clara remembers how her words had been a bit shaky. "Is something wrong?" She had closed her eyes as a horrible feeling settled into the pit of her stomach. Something was definitely wrong. 

 "You need you to come to Androscoggin Valley Hospital immediately ma'am. I'm afraid there's been an accident." Clara had felt her throat tighten at those words and tears start to form in her eyes. "Um...I'll be there as soon as possible." Then she had dropped the phone and let out a loud sob, her entire body feeling the force of it. She had hurriedly grabbed her purse and sped to the hospital going ten miles over the speed limit. 

When she arrived, Clara had ran up to the lady at the front desk. "Um...do you have any updates on Ava Posey?" The lady had given her a brief smile and checked a folder. "I'll be right back" She had said, patting clara on the shoulder. Clara was sure only a few minutes had passed, but it felt like an eternity when the lady came back with a man with grey hair on the sides of his head and the top completely bald, and a wrinkly face by her side. "Hello Ms. Posey" the man, whom she could tell was a doctor had greeted her. "I'm Dr. Fisher. Your friend Ms. Sawyers is doing well, pretty minor injuries. Her daughter Gracie is holding on, she's in an induced coma." Then there was a long pause. "Your daughter...Ava...She..." Clara could tell the man was being very careful about his words. "She passed away quickly after the crash. However, she's still here in room 204 if you wish to see her. I'm deeply sorry."

Clara's whole world had stopped. Actually, it has ended in that moment. Ava was her world. She would always be her world. "Um...I...I don't know" Clara had been speachless. "I'm not sure I want to see her like that, but I want to see her." Dr Fisher had looked at her sympathetically before saying "I understand that you may not wish to see your child in such a state, but if you change your mind please let me know and I'll take you to her." Clara had nodded " Can you take me to her please? "

 "Of course" Dr. Fisher had replied. "Right this way." When they were stood at the door Clara had taken a deep breath, her chest feeling way too heavy. Dr. Fisher glanced at her "Are you ready?" He had asked. Clara had turned her focus to him. " I'm ready" she had told him, feeling anything but. "Okay" Dr. Fisher had said. "Well, I'll leave you to have your privacy." Clara had said nothing, watching him as he walked down the hall. 

She had squeezed her eyes shut upon entering the room, too afraid to see her daughter's injuries, and kneeld down on the floor to search for Ava's hand. When she found it, she held it firmly, feeling cuts on it. Running her hands over them, she felt tears spring to her eyes as she opened them and averted them to the ground. "Baby girl" she spoke, her voice barely audible even to her own ears. "Baby girl, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry." She had cried. " I wish I was brave enough to look at you, but I'm not. I want my image of you to remain a happy one. I want to forever envision you as a little girl with a grin that took up your whole face. I don't want my vision to ever change. In my mind I want your eyes to be forever wide open and curious. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry" She had sobbed.  After a while had passed, Dr. Fisher had came right outside the doorway and asked Clara if she was done yet. Clara had asked for one more minute and Dr. Fisher had agreed. "Farewell, my little love" Clara had leaned down and kissed Ava 's forehead, the same way she had only a night before. "I will never forget you Ava AnnLynn. I love you forever no matter what."