eight

Phoebe

I woke up to see Brooke right next to me, sleeping peacefully. I sat up, grabbed my phone and checked the time. It was 8:45 and I wasn't ready for school. I brushed my hair and teeth, grabbing a cereal bar for breakfast.

"Hey, Brooke. I'm going to school." I said, shaking her gently. She mumbled something, rolled over, and ignored me. I smiled. "Okay, see you later." I put my backpack on and started to walk to school.

*

The day seemed to last forever, which wasn't helped by Lily and her group of friends pushing me against lockers in between classes.

At lunchtime, I sat next to Oliver and Alex. "So, why doesn't Brooke go to this school?" Oli asked. I shrugged.

"She was being homeschooled before her parents kicked her out for some probably dumb reason." I took a bite of the school lunch. Oliver and Alex were whispering about something.

"So how's your crush on her going?" I almost choked on my food. Coughing, I managed to say something.

"What?" I asked, feeling my face heat up. "I don't have a crush on her, she's just my friend." I was still coughing.

They both laughed. I crossed my arms. "Yeah, funny. I could've died choking on the food." I joked.

*

Last period of the day, and the one I hate most. Gym. Not because of the fact I have to actually do things, but because Lily is in my class and we play dodgeball often. And every single time we do, I go home with an ice pack.

I saw the coaches setting out the equipment for what we're doing. Of course, it had to be dodgeball. I sighed, wanting to turn around and go home.

I sat on the bleachers inside, telling the coach I felt sick. I watched everyone play, occasionally texting Oliver. People were loud, running around and yelling at their friends. I put my bag in my lap, leaning my head back against the wall.

I remembered yesterday when Brooke dragged me to my house. I cringed, remembering how much I had cried in front of her. Why didn't I just hide it until she was asleep? But she hugged me, and I felt safe.

I shook my head, trying to think about something else when a ball came hit my face. I felt my eyes start to water since it hit my nose. Not again. I held my nose.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" Someone ran up to me. The voice didn't sound familiar. I looked up to see a person with a dark brown pixie cut, brown eyes, and a lip ring. I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, wanting them to go away.

"Your nose is bleeding!"

I didn't notice that. "Oh. That's unfortunate." I rose my hand to my nose, looking at the blood. I covered my nose, grabbed my bag and told the coach I was going to the nurse. She gave a pass, and I walked to the bathroom to get napkins.

I don't need to go to the nurse. All they do is give me ice. Plus, they're probably tired of seeing me. I put the napkins up to my nose, waiting for the blood to stop.

Who even hit me? Eh, I knew the answer to that. Probably Lily. Or that one kid who came up to me. Who was that anyway? I don't know them. I've never seen them here before. Maybe they're a new kid? Or I'm just not as observant as I had previously thought.

I checked the time, seeing that school was almost out. I decided to walk home now, rather than later when it's more likely that I'll run into Lily. I checked the hallways to make sure there weren't any teachers and ran out the side doors. Once I technically off of school property, I stopped by a tree.

I wondered if Brooke was at my house or if she wandered to the beach. She's done it before, so I wouldn't be surprised. I grabbed my key out of my pocket, unlocked the door, and slowly opened it. I knew my mother wasn't home yet; I didn't see her car. I yawned, tired from school.

"Brooke, " I called out. "You here?" I heard some footsteps down the stairs. I saw Brooke run through the living room. She stopped right in front of me. Smiling, I said, "Hey."

"Hi!" She said, grinning. "You're home earlier than usual."

"I left earlier than I'm supposed to," I said, walking to my room. I opened my door, throwing my bag somewhere. Brooke stood in my doorway, looking at me. I felt my face grow hot. "What?" I asked.

"One second, " She said, walking out and back in with a wet paper towel. She wiped a part of my upper lip with it. "Sorry, you had some blood there. Did those jerks do something to you?"

I shrugged, sitting on my bed. "Maybe, I don't know who did it exactly." Brooke crossed her arms. I yawned. "Why do you even care? It's not like you're getting hurt."

"Well, cause you're my friend! I care about you, and I don't like when you get hurt!" She said, sitting next to me. I looked away.

"What if you hurt me? Like without meaning to, " I said.

"I wouldn't do that." She put a hand on my shoulder and I flinched. I nodded, yawning. My eyes were starting to get heavy, but I didn't want to fall asleep. I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight if I slept now. I'd go to sleep at 1 am and wake up late.

Yawning once again, I drifted to sleep.

*

(Hi this was written by a very tired Myri who is getting mad at autocorrect. Anyway, uh who wants the gay? Also, does anyone want me to explain merthings? <i say to the two readers> Anyway, bye <3)